• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Baffled by Brakes

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read a bunch of threads about the deuce brake system but my situation is rather odd. I have a deuce that had perfectly working brakes but the brake lights didn't work. I replaced the sensor that activates the brakes (it's the type that screws into the front of the air pack) and in doing so lost maybe 2 oz of brake fluid which I replaced right away, now I have no brakes!

I have filled the master cylinder and bled the air pack as well as the wheel cylinders in the correct order multiple times and still the pedal goes 90% to the floor with no restriction then does push fluid but not enough to stop the truck. I guess my question is was this some strange coincidence that my MC or airpack went bad right at this time or am I just not getting all the air out. I really don't even see how air could have gotten in there if the MC never even went dry.

My next option it to make a power bleeder and give that a try but I thought 2 people bleeding the brakes would have worked. Anyone else run into this after changing the light sensor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

91W350

You probably need to invest in a power bleeder. I made mine out of a weed spray bottle and some tubing. You will pump your master cylinder dry before the air pack bleeds clean. The air may have already been pushed into the lines, which will cause a complete bleeding of all wheel cylinders to be necessary.

paramedic7831

When I got my deuce I bleed brakes, bleed brakes, and bleed brakes with no success. My pedal was like yours. I only had about the last 1/4 of the pedal before brakes started engaging. I tried different techniques, No matter what I did same results. I got on here and searched around and found recovery4x4 power bleeder. Got all of my brakes back in 1 bleed go around. And you can use it on other vehicles.

Edit- after $60 dollars of wasted DOT 5 fluid on my shop floor (I don't want to hear it I'm not recirculating it), I cleaned out brake system and now running DOT 3.

turnerman

you have rust or air in the system or both . rust will block the lines and air will act as a bladder. Use a power bleeder if that doesn't work replace the master cylinder. Good luck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a sticky at the top of the Deuce forum about the bleeder, go do it, it is a time saver and works great! I also flushed out the DOT5 and re filled with DOT3 on bothe the truck and trailer. No issues for the past 4? 5? years. Remember to start at the M/C-Air pak then go to the farthest point and work your way back.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I am thoroughly impressed, I rigged up a power bleeder and it worked after the first try! All my life I have been able to bleed brakes either by gravity or with another person pressing the pedal but this truck ended that streak. The power bleeder is the way to go!

brianrbull

A bit off topic here but it has been mentioned.

What all is entailed in a "conversion" to DOT 3?

IE just drain and refill or do you need to run some sort of solvent thru the system?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks