• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

balance the tires on a 5 ton

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a way to balance the tires on a 5 ton? If not, will removing the CTIS stuff help?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Balancing tires has been discussed numerous times on the site.

May I suggest you attempt to search before you post.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hes got 14.00 AT2s. They ride rough in my opinion i told him to play with the pressures front and rear to find a happy medium. Mine on AT2s was 45 rear 65 front

I believe he means split the pressures between tires rear @ ? Psi and fronts @ ? Psi

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hes got 14.00 AT2s. They ride rough in my opinion i told him to play with the pressures front and rear to find a happy medium. Mine on AT2s was 45 rear 65 front

I believe he means split the pressures between tires rear @ ? Psi and fronts @ ? Psi

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yes, that's what I meant. I think the front left tire is the culprit. Steering wheel does not shake but the whole truck bounces. At 60 mph it's pretty smooth. Thinking about canning the CTIS as you suggested.

tobyS

Not sure why, but my Goodyear 14.00 seem to be egg shaped.....was killing my back. Put 395 Mich XZL on the rears and today get the fronts....with new Monroe shocks. Otherwise the GY are excellent looking tires with lots of tread. Bounce was worse than any bias tire I have ever had. Today will tell... with 7 new.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have your tires cut round. It will make a world of difference. It was the only I could get the bounce out. Then balance with your favorite method.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Most truck tire shops can balance 1100x20's. I took my Goodyears off the M931 to work [Fleet shop] and balanced them. Found one that still had the flap rolled up in in. The way new tires come. Guess some one forgot that. ooooops

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1100s,G177s.... They're an on road tire after all..
I'm not so sure.

The smoothest riding 5ton I've driven is Lindsey97's tan M923 with HEMTT rims and 16.00R20 XZLs. I speculate that the taller sidewalls allow for more flex.

(I've driven bunches of these trucks with all kinds of tires and sizes. Lindsey's truck stands out. )

red

I don't think anyone here has the equipment to do it.
Tires of this size ain't balanced by the traditional clamp on/stick on weights like a regular car and 1 ton truck. They will either use centramatics or open up the tire/wheel and toss in some material (coolant, sand, powder, airsoft BB's, etc).

If your tires have the tar in them from the runflats then only coolant or centramatics will work. Can't use the solid balancing media because it will stick to the tar and clump up, making the balance worse.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any disadvantages of removing the runflat ring? Looks like the tractor with the pallet forks is the easiest method. I'd really like to remove them all.

F18hornetM

Tires of this size ain't balanced by the traditional clamp on/stick on weights like a regular car and 1 ton truck. They will either use centramatics or open up the tire/wheel and toss in some material (coolant, sand, powder, airsoft BB's, etc).

If your tires have the tar in them from the runflats then only coolant or centramatics will work. Can't use the solid balancing media because it will stick to the tar and clump up, making the balance worse.
The hammer driven on [conventional weights] work just fine on the lock bead rim wheel. These tires had tubes.
We've tried several kinds of powder wights in our tubeless tires at work. Didn't have great success with them, we use the hammer on instead. Usually we only do the front tires. .Years ago we had a vendor who would shave badly out of round tires. There is no longer anyone in my area who does that.

tobyS

Michelin XZL 395's are on my 929 but I have not put the shocks on yet. Ride has improved. I need a few more miles but most of my bounce seems to have calmed down. With a heavy load of concrete, it is definitely different than 14.00's...more stable. They have a wider footprint than the Goodyear AT-2 14.00, are 2" shorter.

There is a "Plus" version and a non-plus version of the Michelin XZL. On the plus version, they have a slightly shorter lug, but I don't know of any other differences. I got the non-plus version with the full lug. That may be the source of my noise, as there is a lot of area in contact with the ground. I'm left wondering about the Plus version, with several 32's not there on the tread. Did they take a non-plus and true it up? Is XZL "Plus" a smother ride than the full lugged version? Maybe someone with the XZL Plus version knows that will chime in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks