• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

balance the tires on a 5 ton

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have 3 - 395 XZLs on lmtv wheels with runflats that came with the old traditional wheel weights on them and they are fine ridihg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michelin XZL 395's are on my 929 but I have not put the shocks on yet. Ride has improved. I need a few more miles but most of my bounce seems to have calmed down. With a heavy load of concrete, it is definitely different than 14.00's...more stable. They have a wider footprint than the Goodyear AT-2 14.00, are 2" shorter.

There is a "Plus" version and a non-plus version of the Michelin XZL. On the plus version, they have a slightly shorter lug, but I don't know of any other differences. I got the non-plus version with the full lug. That may be the source of my noise, as there is a lot of area in contact with the ground. I'm left wondering about the Plus version, with several 32's not there on the tread. Did they take a non-plus and true it up? Is XZL "Plus" a smother ride than the full lugged version? Maybe someone with the XZL Plus version knows that will chime in.
I've seen the XZL+ tires in person. They were new and mounted on MATV wheels. They came out of the mold as Plus tires as they still had the mold marks on the tops of some of the tread blocks. I'm not sure on any other differences but they were definately molded with shorter tread blocks.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's more to it than that. The worst riding truck I've ever been in is the M818 pictured in my avatar. It has 16.00R20s AT2A on the early hemtt rim. The horrible ride is easily attributed to the short wheelbase and heavy reinforced frame.

Clearly there's more than one variable at play.
Most definately more to it than just tires. If all 4 rear tires aren't close to the same size, or even pressure, it can cause slight wheel hop since all 4 are constantly connected by the drive train.

When I had Michelin XLs on my truck one of them had a very slow leak. If it lost around 5 psi it would give a slight shimmy in the rear. Anything around 10 psi or more and it would feel like and out of round tire in the back. CTIS trucks are less prone to this but still possible. Tires with different tread height on the rears will effect all trucks though.

red

The hammer driven on [conventional weights] work just fine on the lock bead rim wheel. These tires had tubes.
We've tried several kinds of powder wights in our tubeless tires at work. Didn't have great success with them, we use the hammer on instead. Usually we only do the front tires. .Years ago we had a vendor who would shave badly out of round tires. There is no longer anyone in my area who does that.
Never found a shop that will use those hammer on weights with the 395's and bigger. However you balance them helps. I've had the coolant work great in multiple sets of tires so that's what I stick with.

F18hornetM

I was actually referring to my 1100x20's that i balanced but You may be right. But i don't know why not. We balance 315x22.5's [i know a little smaller] with hammer on weights just fine. It may be the folks you deal with don't have a tire balancer big enough to balance that size tire. Hence throw in bags of weight. Not knocking it just saying there are other ways is all. Almost all road call company's will use throw in weights, obviously they cant carry a balancer with them.
The Hunter machine we have is awesome, roll the tire up and the machine will pick it up. Spin it like any tire machine and tell you where and how much weight to add. Of course have seen a few where you could not add that much weight to one spot, so just close was ok. Maybe in that case the throw in bags would be best. but, we've had no complaints.
Never saw coolant added except tractor tires for weight, but is interesting.

Last edited: