• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

balancing tires with ball bearings?

FSBruva

RE: Fluids

I bit the bullet and went with the Dynabeads.... I'll report on how they work out in my 11R20 XL's mounted on m135 wheels (require tubes, obviously).

Matt

Elwenil

Do not use metal ball bearings or BBs. They eventually crush down and are nothing but a rusty powder clumping in the tire. The guys on Pirate have had good luck with Airsoft BBs which are plastic or polystyrene.

yorkgulch2

I also heard good comments at Pirate about True Goo. It seems like it would take a large volume of plastic bb's to balance a tire. Maybe they are using them to fill the tire when running low air pressure. I am behind on flipping hubs and mounting tires as I spent most of the weekend fixing my FLSTF (wiring and motor mount problems). I just realized I need to get seals to put in when I do the hub flip and need to download any torque info for the hubs/axles etc. Hope to finish and have pics this weekend.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last Deuce I got from the ARNG had antifreeze in the front tires, and I have used antifreeze in tractor tires for years, even when I worked for the USDA in college we used straight antifreeze in everything for weight and balance.

jesusgatos

Just called Centramatic and talked to Jerry. He's not sure if their wheel balancers will fit, because the 6 on 8.75" models they make were designed for disc brake applications. He wanted to know what size brake drums are on these vehicles, and I didn't know what to tell him. Figured somebody here does though...

housemover

I used Centramatic balancing rings on a one ton truck. I ran them about 2 years or so then they kind of stuck inside on one spot and through the wheel out of balance. So I don't feel there worth the money I went to Airsoft bbs a few years ago and couldn't be happer. Your use may be diffrent.

I first encountered DynaBeads (from Innovative Balancing) via the motorcycle world. I wasn't sold on their theories at all, especially since they cannot show that they work on a dynamic spin balancing machine. I emailed the company expressing my concern in their lack of proof that they work, I questioned their sketchy "physics", and I asked for them to show that they worked on a dynamic spin balancer. The email reply I received basically stated that it was impossible to show that they work on a spin balancer because the wheel isn't touching the road and that is part of how they work. They told me to read the testimonials for proof that they worked.

I call it horse hooey. The testimonials are probably all based on the placebo effect, because apparently you cannot prove that they actually work unless you try them and say that they work. I've read several testimonials from the motorcycle world that they do work, and several that they don't work worth a darn. Then I had a wise older gentleman who rides and rides and rides tell me to put my tire on the rim, not to balance it, and just ride. He said modern tires are so well balanced already anymore that as long as your rim is balanced, you're very unlikely to ever notice that the tire is slightly out of balance. You know what...he was right! I've gone the past 30k+ miles on my motorcycle like that at speeds ranging from slow all the way up into the triple digits without any noticeable wobble, shimmy, or shake.

If you're going to a tire shop to get your tires mounted in the first place, spend a couple more bucks and get them to spin balance the wheel tire combo. If you're putting tires on yourself, get the rim spin balanced once and leave it alone. I don't think you'll ever notice :driver:

Albin

These are called dynamic balancers, and DBs work as well as or better than static balancers (i.e. wheel weights).

There's lots of things you can use to dynamically balance tires and wheels. Other very common and very cheap dynamic balancers include but are not limited to:

- antifreeze
- golf balls (appear to popular with the OTR crowd)
- BB's (Walmart)
- Airsoft beads (ditto)
- ceramic, steel or SS ball bearings (McMaster--Carr, Grainger et al)

I used the Walmart BB's on my '98 Dodge Ram with it's 35" tires and the Eagle Alloy wheels that used to lose their wheel weights about once a month, paying $12 every time that happened got old fast. I put about 6 oz. of BB's in each tire and never balanced them again till I sold the truck two years later, they were perfect.

I use antifreeze in my Toyota 4runner rock crawler/expedition vehicle, ’92 Pathfinder DD and in my 10k lb. car hauler trailer tires. It works extremely well in my Toy: 70 miles an hour down the highway with 35-12.50 BFG Mud Terrain tires, filled with mud or not. Ditto with the Pathfinder.

I have the Centramatics on my PSD F-350 SRW. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy the $200 Centramatics for my F-350, I'd just use AF.

For brand new tires, always get your tires spin balanced first. That way, if they are not round or balanced, you know what the problem is and the tire people can't blame the balancing media.

One thing I don't recommend is anything that require special air schrader valves or dry air or otherwise the media will "clump" in humid air. With all the other cheap, valid and benign media available, there's no reason to spend extra money on something that's not robust and fails just due to humid air.

My favorite is antifreeze. Take your standard AF available from any store in America, a couple feet of 1/4" ID tubing and a small cup. Remove the schrader valve, and deflate the tire; use a floor jack so that the tire doesn't deflate all the way and perhaps damage the tire by sitting on the wheel. Insert the other end of the tubing in the cup with 4-6 oz of AF and lift the vehicle, causing the tire to suck the AF up. Takes about 10 minutes per tire and it's pretty much permanent.

Keep in mind that, just like static balancers (i.e. wheel weights), dynamic balancers won't fix an out of round or damaged tire or wheel. What they will do, when properly installed, is balance your tire/wheel assembly better than any wheel weight.

They also won’t work well, if you add too little (just like wheel weights) or too much (been there, done that). Follow the guidelines (there's several sites with weight per tire size charts) and it will work, if the tires and/or wheels aren't damaged.

Good luck.

Al

800summit

I got the Dynabeads and said I would get back of what I thought of them.
I had to put in 16oz of the beads per wheel. Had to take the tire off and remove the valve core. Putting in the beads is $@*!ed up.
they would plug up and I would have to pound on the stem to unstick the e.t.c.
after spending the whole day putting in the beads, I finally got it done, took it for a test ride and what do you know, smooth ride.
Would I recommend these on a deuce with the 11.00 x 20 xls and tubes, probably not, would do as others and go with the RV antifreeze next time.

Kohburn

what about tire slime (or Ride-On, the liquid tire sealant that stays inside the tire) or would that be too thick to function as a dynamic tire balancer?

Last edited:

800summit

Not sure if it will clump up while getting it into the valve stem, some people use air soft pellets, BBs,antifreeze,etc.
Sure took a long time getting the beads into the inner tube ,and I was using an engraver to vibrate the beads into the tube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks