• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ballast resistor

JSF01

I beleive that the ballast resistor is fried on my M1009. Right now its a little to late to actually go and verifiy that its bad but I'll do that tommorow. Asuming that it is bad I was wondering were could I get a new one? This leads me to my second question that is is there a master listing of were to get different parts that are uniqe to the CUCV's, since when ever i go into Napa or other parts store they can only pull up the civilian blazer.

ida34

First it is not a ballast resistor. Ballast resistors are for ignition systems on regular gas cars and mostly used on Chrysler products. Your resistor is to drop the voltage from 24 volts to 12 volts for the glow plugs. Why do you think it is bad? What are your symptoms? There is no master list. You just have to call the usual MV suppliers to find one. I have never seen them available NOS so you would probably need to get one from a junk cucv. My post will be followed with people telling you to just take the resister out and wiring it up for 12 volt. I like keeping things stock but you can bypass it and not have any ill effects except you will not be able to slave start it.

JSF01

I think it is bad because even when its 45 degrees out It takes a hell of alot of cranking before it starts. While I only checked 2 of the glow plugs two weeks ago, they were both good and the whole set is only a month old but i can check them again tommorow. I can also here the glow plug relay cycling as well as the volt meter in the dash drop and raise acourdinly. the starter is brand new and the batteries are strong so it is not a problem of a slow starter(if any thing the starter seams a little fast in my opinion but it is a 24v starter and not a 12v mistakinly put in.) I am out of other ideas of what else it could be.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand and part number glow plugs do you have? I had some new ones go bad in just a few months.

acmunro

Not trying to hijack a thread here. Why can't you slave start a truck with the GP resistor bypassed ? One of my trucks was bypassed by the military. When I picked it up GL Slave started it and I loaded it on my trailer. PLMK Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to hijack a thread here. Why can't you slave start a truck with the GP resistor bypassed ? One of my trucks was bypassed by the military. When I picked it up GL Slave started it and I loaded it on my trailer. PLMK Thanks

You can slave the truck and it will crank over but, the glow plug relay will not get a true 12 volts to power the glowplugs(if the front battery was truely dead). So, you can crank it over but it won't start because the glow plugs wont heat up right.

m38inmaine

There is a master list, it is called TM 9-2320-289-34P, part number is 14076847, resistor, fixed wire. Get out your multimeter, connect one lead to the glowplug relay where the resistor attaches, connect the other lead to ground, set the meter to dc volts, it should read approx 24 volts, turn on the ignition switch, it should read around 12v. If it reads higher than 12v, check for burnt out glow plugs, replace bad plugs and repeat the check.

tourdog

my truck was doing that cranking over good volt meter move heard relay clicking but truck still wouldn't start middle of summer found out with simple 12 volt test light no power out of relay put new one in truck started up never been an issue sence start simple start basic make sure power out of relay

ida34

You can slave the truck and it will crank over but, the glow plug relay will not get a true 12 volts to power the glowplugs(if the front battery was truely dead). So, you can crank it over but it won't start because the glow plugs wont heat up right.
To go a little further, the front battery could be down just enough to cause the thing not to start or you rear battery could be bad while the front it good. In these cases the glow plugs might get enough juice from the week batteries to get the glow plugs hot enough but like doghead said, if the front battery is toast then the glow plugs will might not have enough power. The 12 volt conversion take 12 volts from the front battery. When a slave cable is connected it provides 24 volts to the system but will not provide 12 volts at all. You could still try to charge the batteries and get the thing to start but a stock military cucv would be able to fire off when slaved without having to wait for the batteries to charge.

robesetz

24V Glow plugs question.

If I have a set of 24V glow plugs for a HMMWV 6.2 can I use them on my CUCV, Just by bypassing the resister and using the round style connectors? Do I have to swap out the GP relay also? Thanks.

robesetz

found the answer.

Never mind guys. I found the answer I was looking for. Seems its just best to get the stock system to work properly. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks