• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Sidewinder or Cummins 6bt swap???

M1008driver

I was making plans for a 6bt swap when I first got my truck too. Now after reading and learning I am keeping my truck as stock as possible. Why? Engines are cheaper, parts are still plentiful and the more I learn the more I realize there was a reason behind the madness of these vehicles.

I used to buy AK47's and try to upgrade them. The one day I stopped trying to make them what they are not. The original design was genius and and if I wanted a precision rifle I should just buy one.

I don't baby my truck. I drive 65 mph down the interstate every day just fine with no leaks, vibrations, or explosions. A properly working engine should be able to run at the governor all day long and my governor is at 85 mph. MPG is still good too, better than my Ford.

I am sure I will catch **** over these statements, but sometimes you have to sift through the BS the internet provides.

acesneights1

I was making plans for a 6bt swap when I first got my truck too. Now after reading and learning I am keeping my truck as stock as possible. Why? Engines are cheaper, parts are still plentiful and the more I learn the more I realize there was a reason behind the madness of these vehicles.

I used to buy AK47's and try to upgrade them. The one day I stopped trying to make them what they are not. The original design was genius and and if I wanted a precision rifle I should just buy one.

I don't baby my truck. I drive 65 mph down the interstate every day just fine with no leaks, vibrations, or explosions. A properly working engine should be able to run at the governor all day long and my governor is at 85 mph. MPG is still good too, better than my Ford.

I am sure I will catch **** over these statements, but sometimes you have to sift through the BS the internet provides.
I think this says it all...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/386460-post36.html
Your engine is not going to last very long at 85 mph.

M1008driver

Geez, I don't run redline all day....I just said you could. I do run 65mph every day without problems. I commented because I don't want to see someone put thousands of dollars in his engine and not be happy when you can buy these engines cheap and they will do most everything asked of them.

The GM website says redline is 6000 RPM for the 6.2L.
The factory rev limit is 5900.
doghead said
235/85/16 tires, 4.56 axle ratio and 1:1 on the transmission. Do the math, you will be at about 3500 at 65mph. The max engine rpm is 3600 rpm.
This is about right:
you will be at about 3500 at 65mph
... and I don't go faster. I have no need too.

Last edited:

M1008driver

OK, passenger civilian jets fly about 500 knots. Military passenger jets routinely fly about 700 knots. The military jets don't blow up because civilian jets are better.

With the proper maintenance they both will work as designed. It seems the governor is on there so some heavy footed 18 year old does not redline the vehicle.

My governor is set at 85 mph and no, I do not drive at 85 mph. So you drive your vehicle at 50 mph like a Chevy Luv truck and I will pass you and go down the road. :razz:

M1008driver

Thank you for correcting me.

Searching the internet those RPM's must be for a gasser. I read it on another "diesel" forum and didn't realize they were probably not talking about a diesel on the forum.

I need a beer...

Specifications

• Engine RPO Codes: LH6 ('C' series, with EGR) and LL4 ('J' series)
  • Displacement: 6.2L / 379 cu in
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.98 × 3.80 in (101 × 97 mm)
  • Block / Head: Cast iron / Cast iron
  • Aspiration: Natural
  • Valvetrain: OHV 2-V
  • Compression: 21.5:1
  • Injection: Indirect
  • Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (at final): 143 hp (107 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 257 lb·ft (348 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (army): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
  • Max RPMs: 3,600
  • Idle RPMs: 650 + or - 25
aua

EDIT- My truck easily runs 65 mph and if I don't watch myself it wants to go faster. As soon as I figure installing a tach out I will be getting one. So at 3500 I am running just below max RPM's. The truck runs even better now than when I got it. No leaks, no vibrations, wierd noises, nothing.

I do apologize for posting disinformation on this forum. I should have read more and the answer was obvious. Thanks again for correcting me.

Last edited:

hilber

I try to keep mine around 55 but ocassioanly I am on 65 or 70 before I know it as it just seems to run better and better as i get up to or over 55. I almost think mine would run the 85 or more but am not going to risk it. I talked to a guy today that had a crank break at about 60,000 and mine has nealyl 76,000 on it. I may have a look at the harmonic balance as i understand that is the root cause of the cranks breaking.

acesneights1

yep, my 93 broke a crank form a bad balancer. check the rubber around it. The dorman ones are junk. I would not run anything but a Fliudampr now after buying one for my 98 6.5TD.

Boilermkr84

I know this mechanic that has done this. However the motor alone will be in the 2,000 range. You will need custom heavy duty motor mounts due to the shift the Cummins makes during start-up and shut down. You will be able to salvage your 400 tranny and basically use a different bell housing that will hook the 400 directly up to the 6BT. The next challenge is the major wiring that will have to be "shoehorned" into the existing electronics of the truck. I am also told it is quite a bit of custom plumbing that will have to be done of oil lines, tranny lines etc. It would be a good bit of work but the payoff would be great too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks