• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Turbo for M-1009 CUCV

lacroix9

Just wanted to see what you guys think of putting a turbo on my M-1009. It runs fine for me but my son tells me a turbo would be a good upgrade. I'm looking at the Banks Sidewinder. Problem with this is it expensive and a PITA to install. Is it worth the money for what you get. Any and all opinions are very welcome. I know there are guys out there that forgot more then I know. Terry

Barrman

The turbo does amazing things to the diesel engine. Installation is really very simple if you get the entire kit with the exhaust included. The hardest part for a stock 6.2 conversion in my opinion will be getting the set screw out of the block for the pressurized oil feed. Everything else is just plug and play with pretty good instructions from Banks.

I would suggest a new Delphi lift pump gets installed when you remove the pump to put the turbo oil drain plate on.

Any of the 1994 to 2000 GM 6.5 turbo trucks and Suburbans have the GM version of the turbo set up. Those can be pieced together for a lot less money. But, exhaust down pipe, cross over pipe and a few other things will have to be thought out and figured out by you. The Banks system was designed for a Square body 6.2 and it just plain fits. The GM units aren't it shows.

lacroix9

The turbo does amazing things to the diesel engine. Installation is really very simple if you get the entire kit with the exhaust included. The hardest part for a stock 6.2 conversion in my opinion will be getting the set screw out of the block for the pressurized oil feed. Everything else is just plug and play with pretty good instructions from Banks.

I would suggest a new Delphi lift pump gets installed when you remove the pump to put the turbo oil drain plate on.

Any of the 1994 to 2000 GM 6.5 turbo trucks and Suburbans have the GM version of the turbo set up. Those can be pieced together for a lot less money. But, exhaust down pipe, cross over pipe and a few other things will have to be thought out and figured out by you. The Banks system was designed for a Square body 6.2 and it just plain fits. The GM units aren't it shows.

87cr250r

Consider having a manifold fabricated to mount the turbo in the Banks location. A decent fabricator could add a turbo pedestal to a stock manifold using powdered nickel metal spray. It won't be pretty but it will work.

Or you could build a tubular manifold like the HMMWV has.

Lothar

I have a 1009 with a 99 turbo and a couple stock CUCVs. The turbo makes a huge difference. Pretty sure Banks stopped making them years ago. But if you find some for sale, please let us know.

Barrman

Don’t limit your search to just K5 blazers. Suburban’s and trucks will be the same. The exhaust behind the seats is the only difference. That can be fixed with a saw.

Lothar

It appears it may still be possible to acquire what's needed. Here is a thread that gives some instruction.
And a few spots for parts I found this morning with a search.
Will try to get some pics today to show what it looks like on my truck.

Lothar

20231114_101619.jpg20231114_101600.jpg
Battery obviously relocated. Exhaust manifold flipped upside down. The oil drain was plumbed into the valve cover rather than deleting the lift pump and going in there. Hope this helps anyone having a go at it. This may not be the best way but it has definitely worked well for years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks