• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks turbo - intake advise

airmech

I'm getting ready to install a banks kit from a donor truck i picked up for the turbo/700r4. I picked up the 1008 from GL in SEP and installed 2 new yellow top group 31 batteries. My problem is the front tray, the 31 won't fit the civy tray and the airbox needs to go there. I thought about moving the batteries to the r-rear frame in a box, but that might be pain to remove/install a 50+ lb battery behind the bed. I also thought about using 3" aeroquip 306 to a conical K&N filter, but then what do you do with CDR? I don't want to spend another 500 on batteries. If anyone has installed the banks I'd love to hear what you've done for the install. Thanks

mangus580

I think, you can clip the corner of the battery tray for the air filter, and keep the group 31 in it. The other option, would be to pipe the air filter to the other side maybe? Not use the Banks filter? Move the battery tray to the drivers side?

JohnFire

Airmech I will post pics tommorrow morning of mine. I have the yellow top group 31's and the banks turbo. You will need to make a new top for the batteries and add a plate on the bottom so they have a nice smooth base to sit on.

lavarok

What do you guys think of pulling air from the dead space above the fender wells? Do you think enough fresh air would get pushed up through there? There are access holes into the area from under the hood which would be easy to run intake tubes into.

joeypushjr1

well one reason i wouldnt is if you do alot of playing water can easly get in there and you dont want to be sucking water into your engine .. but thats my thoughts...joe

lavarok

If the wheel wells are sealed, I can't imagine it being more of a risk vs. using the front port as in your setup. I am more curious to know if you guys think there would be enough fresh air getting pushed up through there to make it worthwhile.

airmech

Thanks for the replies. joey- is the front a civi tray or did you mod the military one ? it looks like you left the CDR alone, does that work with the pressurized manifold?

2deuce

I was wondering how important it is to have batterys that are equal in capacity and cranking amps? If they can be different, is there a rule or % that they should fall in? When 2 12v's are combined to make 24v.
I'm wanting to do what you guys have done but thought I might fit in a smaller battery along with a group 31.

joeypushjr1

airmech well i dint mod anythingit all fit in there nice alittle tight but nothing that hurt it you know i kinda like johnfire set up .. hey john did you use compact cell optimas.. i like the room it gives you...joe

JohnFire

They are the standard group 31 optima yellow tops. The plate of steel I put on the battery tray gave them a nice flat surface to sit on. Then welded a couple of threaded tabs to screw the battery top to. With them sitting flat the intake kinda just fit nicely under the corner of the front battery. Mine is converted to 12V but would work just as well on the standard 24V.