• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks turbo kit for 6.2l ?

erasedhammer

Has anyone ever done this conversion?

Seems like with the 6.5 turbos costing $4000+ this would be a cheap way to get some better mileage and power out of the 6.2.
Found some discussion on it for the blazers and people seem to respond well to it.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=156|11|diesel trucks, 82-93 chevy/gmc - 6.2l|1

Don't know if this is discontinued but it certainly looks like a good cheap option, last I heard they were selling for $1200 to $2000? Looks like elsewhere they are climbing in price, nearing $3000. Still cheaper than a 6.5 turbo.

The kit seems to include everything but maybe not completely compatible with the humvee's engine setup?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 2,290 results with a general sit search for "hmmwv banks turbo".

ruSSrt

just thinking outloud:

wouldnt it be almost the same price (and a little bit more work) to just put 12v cummins? For a little more money you'll get forever motor and much better performance.

rhinob

My shop installed a Banks turbo on a M1009 6.2. It came alive and has increased the real-life drivability of the Blazer significantly and it's been reliable for 1000's of miles requiring nothing since install. FYI

erasedhammer

just thinking outloud:

wouldnt it be almost the same price (and a little bit more work) to just put 12v cummins? For a little more money you'll get forever motor and much better performance.
How much for the engine and installation?
Wouldn't there be modifications involved to mate the engine with the vehicle?

ruSSrt

well... i have not really looked in to it myself. Please do not take my work for it..
again just thinking outloud .... 12v cummins in running condition will cost you 2k-3k depending on the mileage and work needed. You could find it cheaper in the donor vehicle.
2" body lift for hmmwv to accommodate new motor
motor to trany housing
electrical, pedals and gauges
i would assUme another 2k...... (if you doing most of the work yourself)
i would say 5k-6k in the end

check it out
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?22201-6BT-Cummins-in-a-M998-HMMWV

Last edited:

ArizonaGasMonkey

Buy yourself a Mid 90's GM vehicle with 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4L80E and part Time transfer case. You can find these as pickups, blazers, tahoes and suburbans.
I see them for around 3K in Arizona all the time.
yank out parts and swap them into your hummer, then this makes your hmmwv a 12V and much more fun to own. I have done a few of these swaps.

Good luck.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy yourself a Mid 90's GM vehicle with 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4L80E and part Time transfer case. You can find these as pickups, blazers, tahoes and suburbans.
I see them for around 3K in Arizona all the time.
yank out parts and swap them into your hummer, then this makes your hmmwv a 12V and much more fun to own. I have done a few of these swaps.

Good luck.
Those turbo truck engines won't work...turbo is on the side.
Needs to be a Van 6.5 turbo.

tage

If you have to ask... Lol

Are you planning to do a 12 valve /nv4500, or keep the original th400, go with a 4l80e... Then price an adapter, misc engine parts. I would budget 10 grand if you do all the work yourself.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess I need to get the passenger side manifold over here to the shop and build my turbo retrofit system I have in my mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks