• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barn find CUCV recovery

cucvrus

Last week while driving on errands I spotted the grille of a CUCV in a barn that was being razed by some Amish men. They were taking the barn apart for the weathered barn wood and the beams to relocate it. The farm was just sold and they were building a development on the land. I stopped and ask about it and they said that the truck was going to be scrapped. I got a contact number from them and called the developer foreman. He said that he wanted scrap value for the truck. I told him I wanted it. He said pay the site foreman. At this time I could not even see the whole vehicle. It had a round bale on the hood and was covered in bales on both sides and the top. They men told me they had attempted to pull it out and were unable to move it with the Bobcat skid steer they had. I told them I could see that as being a problem with the amount of weight it had on it. I hung out with them and we started unloading the hay. They were happy for the free labor and this was the next thing they wanted to get. It had rained earlier and the roof and main frame were the only thing remaining of the barn. They did not want the hay/straw to get wet and had a trailer comng to pick it up for a local farmer to use. Well when the round bale came off the hood I could see that it was a M1010. And the hood had been driven down to the aircleaner. The bay it was in was just wide enough to get the truck in when I noticed a door that went to the passengers side of the truck cab. It was nailed shut from the other side but these men had 6 ft prybars and opened it in a flash. The door was locked on the truck. They suggested breaking the window. I asked no please then they said how about just the lttle window I said NO please. They attempted again to pull the truck but were unable to budge it. I told them I had a key and went home to get it along with my towbar. I was back in half an hour and they had cleaned up the hay and were loading a truck and trailer with the hay. I told them I had the key and they were in awe. Not believing me at first. I unlocked the door climbed in thru the passengers side door. This thing was clean inside I put my key in and they were pulling as soon as I took it out of park and released the ebrake it lurched forward and rolled out of the barn.Me blindly at the wheel. I hit the brakes it stopped I could hear the rust in the rear drums and the rotors were a bit rusty. I looked at the odometer and it had 3217 miles on it. I got out and walked around it the doors on the rear were pad locked and the cab access door was pad locked also. I never said anything and they did not either. I told them the vehicle weighs about 7500 lbs and showed them the data plate. One said 9200. I said fine I will pay you for 25,000 lbs of scrap. They were happy and figured a price and we struck a deal. I was airing the tires and the job foreman brought me a bill of sale and a TITLE for the truck. He said they had to have the title because the estate was sold and the truck was inside the barn. They had tried to sell it several times but noone would take it without the title and they just got the title yesterday. What Luck? I backed up my pick up and attempted to hook the towbar up and I noticed it was Marine M1010 and someone had welded balls on the end of the roll pins that held the D-rings on it. They had a small oxy/ace kit and that problem was solved quickly. All hooked up and ready to go towing lights and all. Homeward bound. Bottom view the entire drive line is in tact and the hood will not open. More later just want to get this dust bowl home. I am glad we were on back roads for several miles before the interstate. It was a cloud of dust and straw coming off that huge thing. I will write more later. This thing is going to be transformed from useless to useful in a hurry. I am at the drawing board at this moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

Yesterday was a very contructive day. Destructive by some. The radiator was untaped and nothing was in it. The left center freeze plug was out of the engine and foil tape was over that hole also. I removed it and looked inside with the scope on the screen it appeared like new. Lightly rusted. I put an electric block heater in and filled the cooling system. The fuel lines at the lift pump were disconnected and pipe pluged. I replaced the fuel pump new same type. I disconnected the plug and what smelled like Marvel Mystery oil flowed out of the line. I looked back and the fuel tank was plugged at the feed line and return line. That explains the foil tape over the fuel gap and the filler hose being disconnected from the fuel tank and foil taped shut. The tank scoped out and was like new almost chrome with the scope light. They are one of the handiest tools. Connected all the lines fueled it up and went on down under. Removed the starter and replaced it. Turned the motor over with the flyweel tool. very nice and smooth. While under there I pulled the drain plug and oil filter. The oil was last changed 23 July 1994 at 3210 miles. Wow 7 whole miles and 20 years between oil changes. Same story for the trans serviced same date. Off with the pan and out with the 20 year old fluid smells like new. Update to new deeper pan with drain plug not needed already done. Still the filter needed changed 20 years. Magnet spotless. Transfer case same thing smells like new and looks like new. But we do need oil for the waste oil burner. Now the batteries removed the batteries and put new ones in and when hooking them up a spark keeps coming off the 24 volt rear battery post. Something is drawing a lot of current. Hooked it up anyway and primed the fuel system after pumping new fuel thru the old filter to bleed the line with the vacuum pump we changed the filter. I hooked up everything but the injection pump wire to exercise this long dry motor so if it did start it would have oil pressure and not need to run dry for a few seconds. Hooked up the pump and GP sysyem and glowed it and it fire on the second revolution. I shut it off quickly and checked all the fluids again. And started it up. The dust flew and the moth ball scent filled the air. Black smoke bellowed from the tailpipes. It looked like the garage was on fire outside. It idled about 5 minutes and I put it in gear it went back in R and forward in D. Hey it works and sounds great. It does appear to be discharging but no worries. Where this project is going is not going to be needing that trouble ridden M1010 charging system. I gave the order and 3 men with air tools sawzalls and cutting torches went to work. Our goal for the day is another M1010 cab and chassis. Minus ALL M1010 electrical wiring and anything that relates it to the M1010. I already have a guy drooling for the parts I am taking off so far so good. More later.

cucvrus

Yes at this point we are going to remove everything from the chassis that is related in any way to the M1010. I have a complete M1008 that I am going to remove everywire and the entire charging system and add it to this chassis. When I am done I will have a new model M101008. That way I have both models covered. The only thing that will be a dead give a way is the cloth extra long oil cooler lines and the rivnuts on the firewall and the inside of the left fender. I have free labor for today from the man that wants the parts so I must get back to work/supervising this job. Or he will pick its bones clean. He is lost as to what to do next with out my roving eye. But good help is hard to find but Free good help a even harder and he is good Free help. Next time I post I will tell you what was in the rear ambulance body. Wow this guy (previous owner)had plans. Good plans.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes at this point we are going to remove everything from the chassis that is related in any way to the M1010. I have a complete M1008 that I am going to remove everywire and the entire charging system and add it to this chassis. When I am done I will have a new model M101008. That way I have both models covered. The only thing that will be a dead give a way is the cloth extra long oil cooler lines and the rivnuts on the firewall and the inside of the left fender. I have free labor for today from the man that wants the parts so I must get back to work/supervising this job. Or he will pick its bones clean. He is lost as to what to do next with out my roving eye. But good help is hard to find but Free good help a even harder and he is good Free help. Next time I post I will tell you what was in the rear ambulance body. Wow this guy (previous owner)had plans. Good plans.
Just add a 12V alternator and be done with it, no need to go wild...

cucvrus

That will not work. I want a M1008 electrical system and no AC. The dash light wiring at the GEN 1 GEN 2 are different the entire under hood wiring is different. It has been removed at this point JD is a mad man and when the sun sets the cab chassis transformation will be complete. The previous owner had a new in box GM hood in the back and under dash and under hood wiring new in box from a M1008 / M1009 4 altenators and 2 sets of brackets for the M1009 M1008 alternators. He was a smart man. I guess his plans went to the grave with him. He stored this thing since April of 1995. Lots of NOS parts. Locked in the back. No mice no spiders or anything living.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to find someone doing this in my neighborhood. I would love to get the ambulance alt brackets and a/c brackets and such for my wrecker project. Cool project. Are you removing the entire rear box or is the shell staying?

cucvrus

OK now we have a stripped cab and chassis and the entire rear body is off. Another lawn ornament (M1010 body) That is 4 M1010's I have. The frame is cut off to factory length ready for the transformation. I will be cutting the rear cab panel out of a civilian truck cab to close that cab access hole in the M1010 chassis. The cab panel is a freebie. What a hack job on that factory Mark Body hole. They suck at cutting holes and the green caulk is like lead base. They cut the top of the window flange and all. This is the 4th I redid. One was the strangest of all. It was a M1031 chassis uncut on back and the cab access door was close with a piece of aluminum. More later. JD is dirty and ready for a Bud. He has a pick up full of parts for his labors. And big burn hole in the crouch of his jeans. HA HA. sitting on the job while torching. I am done for the day and the goal was meet. I wonder where this guy got all these new wiring harnesses? More later.

cucvrus

Why because I can. I have no use for a clumsy M1010. They make nice lawn mower sheds. And are always worth thier wieght in scrap aluminum. What use would the average person have for one? The M1008,1028,1009. Very useful and fit into everyday use. I have a project plan on this and it will turn out nice. I even have a buyer that wants it. Win Win.

cucvrus

I am not posting pictures because I gave up trying to post them. Look in the TM 9-2320-289-10 Page 1-4 M1010 now look at page 1-5 M1031 that is what it looks like now. And if all plans work out it will be leaving tomorrow looking like page 1-3 M1008. But I prefer it to be called a m101008. OK? Not to be a wise guy but I am done trying to post pictures. I sold the truck and the new owner will be taking possesion of it this weekend. The cab back is fixed and the box is temp - mounted and he will be making a lifted truck out of it. It has no seats at all in it he didn't want them and the 4WD shifter was changed to the standard M1008. JD wanted that also. On to other projects because the work force will be 2 after Friday. Sorry I tried several times with the pictures and failed. I had it. Not many pictures were taken to be honest about it. We were under time restaints to complete this project because I have limited time to have help. JD and his son saved the day. As far a trading for the M1010 for a M1031 I have to ask. Is it stripped out inside and everthing missing? I have 4 M1010 bodies sitting in the field. Only one has the bottom skirts and A/C and heater unit in it. But between the 4 you could make a complete M1010. I think aluminum litters and all. Thought I would just put that out there for you. Oh yea by the way 2 of the OEM tires blew out in the last week just sitting outside in the sun. I dis-mounted all 5 of them and paid $20. to have them disposed of before someone got hurt. The one sounded like a 12 gauge. The other one blew out when no one was around. I wonder if it made a sound. The world may never know.

cucvrus

Well since this has been in my barn for the past 7 years I will also call this one a barn find. It was not lost but I am tired of looking at it so I found time to start working on it again.001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg003.jpgThe battery in the camera went dead. I completed a lot today. I put new batteries in the M1009 and turned the key and glow light came on and went out I cranked it and it started on the first revolution. I had this M1009 down to the Bare frame and had the body hanging from the ceiling. I had it completely Line X'ed inside. It is completely stock thru and thru. I picked it up from DRMO in 2009 it was a DNR vehicle in WV. The flywheel was wasted and the starter was hanging by 1 bolt and the nose of the starter broken. I rebuilt the entire brake system and the steering and suspension bushings. It has new exhaust and stock size tires. I want to get it done so I can sit and look at it. I will post more pictures as I progress on this project. It was cold out 34 today but I opted to work without heat so I could get acclimatized for the rest of the spring.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks