• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barn find CUCV recovery

cucvrus

I did a little work on the M1009 and checked the fluids. It was very low on fuel so I took it for a ride to the truck stop. It drove like a new truck. It had a bird chirping under the hood. The nylon tee on the vacuum pump was cracked. I discarded it and hooked it direct. Drove and shifted like a new one. I will be rechecking all the fluids tomorrow and install the new dash pad. It is sweet and drives well. No speedometer I think the cable is not hooked up under the dash in the cluster. OH well thanks for looking.

cucvrus

019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpgI painted and installed the new dash pad and assembled the cluster and added a new VDO 24 volt voltmeter. It is coming along nicely and I have a lot of cleaning to do to get the job completed. I moved the 4WD indicator light wiring to the outside of the vehicle and loomed it up and fastened it to the protruding 5/16" center tunnel cover bolts with 5/16" nyloks and metal P clips. I painted and installed the spare tire carrier. Thank you for looking and have a nice day.

cucvrus

Good day today. The weather was great and I was left alone at home. I finished the M1009 and it will go to the new owner on Monday after I take it and get it PA safety inspected.001.jpg008.jpg007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg002.jpgI also scored some extra ballasts at Aberdeen on Thursday. And I found the rear seat arm rests in the upullit a couple weeks back. I painted the arm rests and the new dash pad with the SEMS that I purchased locally. I also went and bought a rebuilt wiper motor the old one just would not pump washer fluid . Thank you for looking.

Attachments

cucvrus

011.jpg014.jpg012.jpg013.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpgI installed a trailer plug that we can use and deleted the military plug. I cut the wiring from the rear of a smashed plug that I had and used it to avoid any cutting of the factory rear harness. I used the burr to cut the opening bigger. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

I posted this picture for acesandeights to show how I repair the shift needle guide post that breaks from the cluster. I hope that helps. I can send you the screw and collar if you would like it. just send me an address in a PM.

Last edited:
All I currently need is that. I broke the outside rear door handle off, so I need the complete lock/inside and outside handles. Unless you can make me a good deal on a decent complete passenger side rear door, then I might be interested in just buying the whole thing.

cucvrus

What do you use for floor liner? Also any good places to get a rear gate crank knob? Keep up the great work and pics.
Are you talking outside flip handle only? Not the actual regulator clutch and driver?
I have Line X sprayed in mine. i never had any luck with the brush in do it yourself liners. I have tried 3 or 4 different ones. Once they are in and fail. You will spend a month of hard work getting it out and clean enough to re-coat with Line X or some other professionally installed spray in liner. A bit expensive but worth it in the long run.

cucvrus

All I currently need is that. I broke the outside rear door handle off, so I need the complete lock/inside and outside handles. Unless you can make me a good deal on a decent complete passenger side rear door, then I might be interested in just buying the whole thing.
No complete doors. I have new ones and I sold all them. I need the ones I have on my M1010 wood and lawn mower sheds. If I did not have so much work at this time I would make new doors and sell you one of these I have. But at this time all I can help you with is the handle and locking mechanism inside. I can not sell you any of the rods pr internal door latches. I need them for my doors. They outer handle is a n easy fix. get a garage door handle I think it is 1/2' square drive.

cucvrus

DSCF2267.jpgDSCF2264.jpgToday I was out in the center bay of the barn working and started and ran my M1009 that I have been working/storing since the last century sometime. I did weld all the antenna holes shut on both sides of the body and will close the holes on the fiberglass top when I get that far. I put batteries in it glowed it and it fired right up. Not sure what the deal is but it charges on the volt meter with no cluster even plugged into it. I ran it about 1/2 an hour and had the heater on Hi. Nothing ran out and no particles flew out the vents. I think we are all good. I guess the cats are still doing their jobs. I had a whole load of 2" thick oak trailer decking to store for the winter and under the M1009 was the perfect place. I also found my bumper bracket redesign I worked on 18 years ago. DSCF2268.jpgDSCF2269.jpgThese are pictures of the drivers side underside. I brushed my dusty hands against the rocker panel back sides. It is worth mentioning this M1009 has less then 13K original miles on it. It still has the original paint and the original Goodyear wranglers on it. DSCF2262.jpgI used to see the bumper/brush guard brackets cracked and bent. It seemed they were a weak anchor point. I took the time to make and add a gusset to the open side of the bracket. I then had them powder coated. I used them on all my builds for a while then I ran out. I found the last pair I made in the M1009 in the barn. DSCF2265.jpgDSCF2266.jpgThey are dusty but still as good as new. I found a huge box of bumper brackets and braces, spare tire carrier, I had powder coated along with the rear hitch draw bar. Happy Holidays. rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif

ssdvc

Hey Rick !! Please be careful of my next truck !! I am still wanting that bad boy !!

cucvrus

DSCF2270.jpgDSCF2271.jpgDSCF2272.jpgThis is how I left my M1009 in the barn. I had to jack it up a few inches to fit the lumber under the M1009 truck. But it fit and will be out of the weather till I get around to changing the floor on the flat bed trailer. The engine is in excellent condition just a bit dusty. I spent the entire day working on CUCV's and getting ready for general winter. Happy Holidays. rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did weld all the antenna holes shut on both sides of the body and will close the holes on the fiberglass top when I get that far.

Rick,
When you plug those holes in the fiberglass top you can send me those antenna wire grommets. I can use two of the originals to complete my radio/antenna installation.

cucvrus

I think I have brand new GM plugs in the package yet. But I put my 4 X 4 away for the winter.(joking) I will look in spring.(joking) But on the one in the barn. It only has 1 plug/grommet on the left side. The one on the right is missing. I have several M1009 covers I am sure I can hook you up. Are you in a hurry. But the new ones it would be a shame to punch a hole thru them. They are solid.rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gifHappy Holidays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks