• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow recovery

roscoe

Thanks for the advice. I'm taken my camera - good or bad its gonna be used. I don't think I'm quite as well prepared as Dug was - sounds like he took everything. I'm going to take what I got and hope to pick a few things up on the way. I had a longer work day than I had planned and didn't get a chance to get everything recomended for a recovery.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe so, but who knows more about these trucks and their safe operation/maintenance? That's why I asked the origional questions.

rat4spd

S'allright Chief, I don't see it as a hard time for me, for Dug maybe. And I was in your shoes, well not as a chief, but I was enlisted Navy MM2/SS, and my 20 would've been up this January, so I've been on the giving side of that hard time, and that was before this kinder gentler Navy we have now.

So, I'll take the reciprocal of what I used to give with a smile and a cheer, well maybe less of a smile than I had when I was giving it. :p

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You look a little shifty there Dug, no wonder the EUC took so long.:-D Glad the recovery worked out well for ya. I'm going to get mine tomorrow and I hope its as smooth as yours was.

Good luck brother! Just do like I did - pack and plan for the worst possible case. Have the TMs and phone numbers of people who know the trucks inside and out. Have a back up plan.

And then smile when none of it is needed.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes, something I forgot - there was a couple of pretty deep lines of A3's at Barstow. I was gonna get a pic, but you know - I got excited.

There is also a "DUC" or whatever you call that amphib thing. Plenty of 5 tons too.

Hundy - you better get the limit raised on your CCs bro...............................

det45

Had a very similer experience back in January when I recovered my first MV from Barstow. The only difference was that when I checked the brakes, the pedal wnt to the floor. Had a broken brake line on the front rear axle. Went to Kragen in Barstow, bought a new brake line, installed bleed brakes and drove her home.

Tim is actually a very nice guy. I have been to Barstow several times, as recently as yesterday morning, and have talked to him quite a bit. He mentioned the subject of cutting locks during our conversation, and had a very good reason for doing so. It seems that the military doesn't always check out the equipment very well, and GL has found some very inappropriate stuff in trucks, containers, etc. If the truck has a lock on it, the military has not done an inspection. If something goes out that isn't suppose to go out, GL gets blamed.

We also discussed the use of forklifts to load/unload vehicles (pickups, CUCVs)(driveshaft & body damage), a subject that was a hot item on this forum not too long ago. The complaints to GL must have worked real well, because he said that his boss had stated that she would write up anyone she saw using a forklift to lift a vehicle.

Congradualation on the recovery DUG!

det45

Oh yes, something I forgot - there was a couple of pretty deep lines of A3's at Barstow. I was gonna get a pic, but you know - I got excited.

I asked Tim about those A3s too. He said that they were on hold to be shipped overseas to our "friends". :cry:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A DUKW? Got a photo???
Nope, saw it on the way out and the camera was in the chase truck. After talking to DH and some folks in chat, I can't decide if it was really a DUKW or a LARC. It seemed square looking, but I thought there were just four (FLAT) wheels.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a very similer experience back in January when I recovered my first MV from Barstow. The only difference was that when I checked the brakes, the pedal wnt to the floor. Had a broken brake line on the front rear axle. Went to Kragen in Barstow, bought a new brake line, installed bleed brakes and drove her home.

Tim is actually a very nice guy. I have been to Barstow several times, as recently as yesterday morning, and have talked to him quite a bit. He mentioned the subject of cutting locks during our conversation, and had a very good reason for doing so. It seems that the military doesn't always check out the equipment very well, and GL has found some very inappropriate stuff in trucks, containers, etc. If the truck has a lock on it, the military has not done an inspection. If something goes out that isn't suppose to go out, GL gets blamed.

We also discussed the use of forklifts to load/unload vehicles (pickups, CUCVs)(driveshaft & body damage), a subject that was a hot item on this forum not too long ago. The complaints to GL must have worked real well, because he said that his boss had stated that she would write up anyone she saw using a forklift to lift a vehicle.

That is a very good reason to cut my locks. Not a good reason to steal my chocks (which I locked up) or my front tow ring. There was too much crap in the back to know what might have been stolen except for a toy truck that was there. Not too bad I guess.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tim is actually a very nice guy. I have been to Barstow several times, as recently as yesterday morning,
Wow, what time were you up there? We probably passed each other.

det45

Wow, what time were you up there? We probably passed each other.
I had a 10:00 appointment to look at that ratty M35A2 parked by itself. I thought it might make a good parts truck, but it was in real bad shape.

The amphibious vehicle has been there for at least 6 months, there used to be 2 of them. If I remember right, no engine, trans, and a variety of other parts. In pretty bad shape.

Avn-Tech

Group,

A LARK sold out of barstow last month. Probably waiting on the EUC to clear. It was missing the trans and sold for about $7K if I remember correct. I wanted it but could not afford it. Currently accepting donations to help me recover from my addiction (buy more toys)!