• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Basic Maintenance Items

Finally got my HMMWV home.

I understand that the same 6.2 liter Detroit diesel V8 was used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks as in the M998.
What parts are interchangeable between those civilian vehicles and the M998?

Also,
What's the best source and/or specification for the following?
*all V-belts
*Oil filter (Fram PH5 has been recommended)
*Which radiator coolant is recommended?
*Recommended transmission fluid
*Recommended grease for fittings(what's the original grease used by the military? I understand mixing certain greases together can cause problems, I use a lot of marine grease)
*Air filter
*Planning to use Rotella T 15w40 engine oil (any other recommendations?) should I add sea foam? how much?

My HMMWV is a 1993. which seems to also be the last year that Chevrolet and GMC used the 6.2 before switching to the 6.5 , Besides running on 24volts rather that 12volts, are there any other differences which cause incompatibility issues?

If at an auto parts store, and asking for something like an air filter or v belts, to simplify the process, should I just say I want an air filter and V-belts for a 1993 GMC C/K 6.2 diesel?

any help with these questions and recommendations is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
:beer:

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a recommendation from having sold parts for 20+ years in another lifetime.

Stay away, no I mean run from anything Fram for filtration. Absolutely junk. We used to have a counter display of a cut up wix/napa/carquest (all the same stuff) & AC delco & fram. You would be shocked to see a fram cut up!

Thanks juanprado, I'll take that under advisement.
So which filter performs best?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks juanprado, I'll take that under advisement.
So which filter performs best?
I like Wix for automotive and HD. NAPA and Carquest are also made by Wix. Same stuff.

For Chrysler, I like the mopar filters retail at wal mart. Don't know who makes them but they are heavy and feel "quality"

I have used ac delco in the past but have seen a lot of negative comments so I am unsure on who makes them now and quality.

I would not hesitate to use Purolator as I sold them in the past and have seen them cut up. Not as easy to find as before.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A lot of the answers to these many questions are answered in the Technical Manual section of this website.

For lubricants you would want to consult the LO (Lubrication Order). Normal grease is GAA (Grease Automotive Artillery). Additional websearch can probably find you some or something similar. As for the quality of lubricant, you'll get a wide range of suggestions on that. I also like WIX and would only buy FRAM if they were the only option. But some folks will swear by Pennsoil, others Quakerstate, others like me will buy whatever is on sale.

As for parts, the vehicle technical manual with a P behind it is a parts manual. Look up the vehicle system...such as suspension, wheel, brakes. Look for the brake pad in the picture. Refer to the number indicated. That will give you an NSN, CAGE code, and part number. The BINCS website will give you who the manufacture is from the CAGE Code. The part number will cross reference to their part. It can be a time consuming process the first time you do it but with practice and remembering who is who in the CAGE codes, you will get faster and faster over time.

If you haven't downloaded the "How To" (Technical) manuals (TM) in the technical manual download section, now would be a good time. It will give you what tools you need to complete each job along with the steps to do it. It will also give you the specifications in case you ever need to have it hauled someplace or tow something or fit something in the bed. The data plate on your vehicle also has some of this but I've gotten stencils and began labeling stuff like this in out of the way locations so that it is handy. For instance, oil type and capacity on my truck---under the hood. Tire pressure, in the wheel well above the tire. Etc.

Thank You CARNAC,
I had previously thought that the part numbers in the manual might be military specific and thus probably not compatible with a search at a place like NAPA .
I plan to do labeling somewhat as you suggested.

tigertank

I understand the need to tm and other such stuff to read, but some of us don't really feel or have the time to cipher thru the govt speak in the TM and yes ive looked.... sometimes when someone asked its they just want a simple answer like go to NAPA and get this filter these belts and such NAPA is a good place to cross the gm 6.2 for engine parts and the like..... retired warhorse is usually very helpful .

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The sticky on the CUCV has the normal cross referenced items...belts, filters, etc. If we were to cross reference every part, we'd end up with something like this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-20P.pdf

There is also a point that one of our former moderators continuously stated that folks need to read the TM or search. To have 40-50-200 threads of folks asking for the same part number gets old after awhile. Granted, just about every subject has been dealt with on SS and why do we need a site if we don't answer these kind of questions but it's a double edge sword. As related to me earlier this week, it's kind of like warning labels. The more that are there, the less folks pay attention to what's written. Teaching someone to fish becomes a lot more effective not just for the CUCV but for all vehicles. my 2cents.

Last edited: