• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries for M818

03silverado

I've got a 71 M818 and her batteries are just about completely shot im running on 2 because the other two are completely shot and the two im running on are on there last leg takes a charge but loses it pretty quick. When the others do take a major crap and die what should i do replace them with 6tl's or optimas. I've heard good and bad about both but i would think that the optimas might be the way to go because i do not drive the truck too often?:driver::cookoo:

R Racing

I put 4 Walmart 24f batteries in both my M813 and also in my M920 they havent let me down yet and my M813 is a really hard starter. Think I need to replace the fuel line.

powerhouseduece

I actually found 2 fleet batt's that fit. they will only work on a 5ton because 1 battery takes up the whole battery box. Ill look at my fleet pride recpt and get you the part #'s when I get off work, I got a guy that works at fleet pride that hooks me up.

area52

I think Group 31's (?) will fit side to side just fine. The big ol Cummins 250 takes a lot of juice to spin over and get started especially in the winter so get some with high CCA's (cold cranking amps).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a pair of 8Ns in the 819, one in each box, these are the same batteries that start D9s and 10s, never had a problem, when I put mine in, I got NEW blems at $60 each, a lot cheaper and better the mil. batteries, and if I need a replacement, EVERY battery shop has them

trooper632

Wal-Mart batteries work great, I run them in all trucks and tractors, 3 year no hassle return even with no receipt. and you can go to any Wa-Mart for returns, and alot cheaper than optima crap.

AMGeneral

I have a pair of 8Ns in the 819, one in each box, these are the same batteries that start D9s and 10s, never had a problem, when I put mine in, I got NEW blems at $60 each, a lot cheaper and better the mil. batteries, and if I need a replacement, EVERY battery shop has them

Exactly what I ran in my 816,they fill up the battery box perfectly.

goldneagle

I use the group 31 from NAPA. 1120 CCA each times 4... that is a lot more than the original military issue batteries are rated! That was on my M820A2.

Coldfusion21

All I know is new optimas are not like the ones from 10+ years ago. If your looking for an AGM type battery look at deka's intimidator line. Same price roughly, made in the us and have great reviews.

eldgenb

I run 4 of these with stud posts and have good results.

Yeah I agree with the above, depending on what battery tray you have you may have to cut out 4 little nubs to make them lay flat but these are the biggest battery you can fit x4 in there. Group 31 tp (top post) is what I run with great success. don't waste your money on 6tl's.

03silverado

Thank you for the advice everyone im gonna go with the two big equipment batteries rather than the 6tls or optimas they sound like the better option money and power wise I also saw them installed in my buddys 5 ton they look nice:mrgreen:i

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When i installed the 8Ns, I put a peice of mud flap on top of the posts, to go between them and the cover, just incase a bounce or????, because the cover is REAL close to the post

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the terminals closest to the frame(2 8D batteries), no worries about anything touching them there. It's nice to know you have the most battery power you could ever need. I think mine are 1400CCA, with huge reserve power.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with the above, depending on what battery tray you have you may have to cut out 4 little nubs to make them lay flat but these are the biggest battery you can fit x4 in there. Group 31 tp (top post) is what I run with great success. don't waste your money on 6tl's.
sorry. I forgot the part about cutting the 4 nubs off the bottom of the plastic case.
thanks for reminder eldgenb!

the big 8's have 1/2 the connections to worry about. another plus for using them.
I would have used the 8's but i needed them right away and they were not in stock so i ended up with another set of 31's.

Last edited: