• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

batteries low

ctoathkeeper

any members in the enfield,ct. area that can help me with a jump for my M923A2. my batteries needed some distalled water,not turning over enough juice to start my beast. This is my first truck. no electricals were left on.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Your best bet would be to replace the 4 old batteries with a pair of big die hard gold ones for sears. I have done this swap multiple times with excellent results. You can get a pair of 12v jump paks and use them together to get it started.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Before you ditch the stock batteries try slow charging them for a couple of days. It's a slow process with one charger (I have two and it still takes several days) but it might save you the cost of new batteries. At full charge they should show 13+ volts using a multi-meter. You can do it with them in the truck. Just disconnect one battery at a time and make sure you put the small wires back in their proper place.

ctoathkeeper

thanks i was thinking of that , i needed to check with one of you experienced MV owners first to make sure i didnt screw it up. thank you for the suggestion. i will do that.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the water was low enough to expose the plates, they are probably junk. Any of the pates that ever get above the water level will be dead and never come back.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you ditch the stock batteries try slow charging them for a couple of days. It's a slow process with one charger (I have two and it still takes several days) but it might save you the cost of new batteries. At full charge they should show 13+ volts using a multi-meter. You can do it with them in the truck. Just disconnect one battery at a time and make sure you put the small wires back in their proper place.

...and do check the specific gravity of the electrolyte, open circuit voltage can be misleading and doesn't show actual charge.
Lead acid batteries that sit for long periods of time will not regain full AH capacity.

tobyS

I have replaced mine with (2) 1425cca from O'Reilly. They are supposed to be made by Deka. You can't see them, but the boards from under the old batteries make great spacers on the sides and between. Be careful of the height as you can get the terminals up against the seat bottom and have a real problem... they are taller. I had to put 3/8" wood under them and to play it safe, insulate the top. Since I don't have a Nato plug jumper, I left that disconnected for now. If anyone has a spare nato end at a reasonable price, please PM me.

Attachments

Last edited:

KsM715

Make sure you have good batteries in the truck before running it for any extended period. Running on bad batteries will kill an alternator.

cx65083

RE: TobyS, What is the model number on those big batteries you got from O'Reilly? I have an O'Reilly right here in town and could use a lil more UMPH in the cold!

tobyS

There are 2 different models of the 8D size. One is an 1100 cca and the other is the 1425 cca. Have them look in their book and they can complete the number.

FYI they list for $355 each but I asked if they would price match to a local big R (farm store) and I got each at $199.95. The big R had some off brand for $169. Also the core was only $18 each as compared to $60 at every other store, including Napa.

They are heavy, so if you do buy them, have the height issue figured out before you set them in. I used 3/8" under.

ctoathkeeper

i charged up two batteries that were showing low volts ,truck started all last week now not enuff juice to start, i want to replace the four batteries with two new ones. thanks to all who replied with help.

ctoathkeeper

to all you experienced 5 ton owners,if i want to replace the 4 mil. batteries with two singles,what should be minimum CCa for the replacement batteries...is 1000CCA @32 degrees F good enough or should i go higher

tobyS

The difference in cost at O Rielly between 1100 cca and 1425 cca (both 8D) was only a few bucks. As you live in CT, I would recommend the 1425.

ctoathkeeper

if two of the four batteries are bad could i replace the two bad ones with a bigger truck battery and still keep the two good batteries. would this one and two smaller combo work? thanks to all who reply.

cx65083

if two of the four batteries are bad could i replace the two bad ones with a bigger truck battery and still keep the two good batteries. would this one and two smaller combo work? thanks to all who reply.

If the two BIG batteries are in series and the two little batteries are in series and the two separate groups are in buddy pairs... it will work, BUT the two different pairs will have different capacities and will charge differently. You want ALL batteries in pairs and especially in series to be as close (if not identical) as possible. I would use two large batteries in series as your starting/charging batteries and have the 2 smaller one in series on a manual switch to kick in if the bigger ones go dead.
Otherwise it's best to have ALL the batteries the same.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here you can get by with just two stock batteries (6TL) but I don't know if it would work in CT in the winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks