• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries were dead/ made it home

PowerstrokeNC

I was wondering if anybody is near the north side of Charlotte? I am on my way home with M931 and now she won't start. It slaved off earlier today. Batteries are too low I think. I have a slave cable just need the other vehicle :)
if anybody is near me please let me know my cell # is 336-210-7733.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Derick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be able to make do with 2 cars or ever 2 batteries and 2 sets of jumper cables.

PowerstrokeNC

Thanks again to everybody for all the offers, I went to a nearby Walmart and bought 2 marine batteries. Once they were in she fired right up. Checked the Hawkers and 2 were reading 6 volts one was 9 volts and 4th was 12.5. So that taught me the golden rule (which I disobeyed) and that is not to turn the truck off even if it has been running ALL day.

The wrecker was a bust, even though I told him it was 24V they show up with a 12V rig and 2 hours late. I would have been on the road much sooner if I hadn't waited for them.... Anyhow I got home and all is good. :beer:

Regards,

Derick

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put your Hawkers on a battery pulse reconditioner. They may come back to life. I got lucky and recovered 4 spiral agm's which saved me 1k.

PowerstrokeNC

No didn't pay, They were over 2 hours late too. I would have been on the road much quicker with a battery swap. But thought what the heck for $60 I could get a quick jump and then take my time when home to make the right battery purchases. As opposed to buying a quick fix setup from Walmart. They told me 30-40 mins, well that didn't happen. Reminded me of airport delays lol, they keep telling you its going to be another 15 minutes and "well be on our way"....well before you know it 2 hours have gone by.

Once I had the new batteries in the truck started so quick! I barely rolled the starter switch, it was a good sound to hear after waiting for a while and it getting dark. :)

KaiserM109

When I brought my M923 home from Ft. Benning, GA to Denver, CO I drained the batteries by leaving a switch on over night in Dallis, TX. I had a charder, the one in the picture, but I was too far from the grid to plug it in. I bought a small generator at Harbor Freight and I can now recharge completely off-the-grid. It was great because M923A1s are hard to start in the cold and I killed it again in Hays, Kansas.
Charging Cables.jpgBatteries.jpg2014-01-02_14-33-37_869.jpg

To charge it with a 12v charger, I made up 4 short (12") jumper with clips I bought at a autoparts store. To get it done, disconnect one end of both short bridges between batteries. Then connect all negative ends together and all positive ends together. My charger is a heavy duty 12v charger that puts out 40 amps. It takes about 90 minutes to charge them up enough to start it. I used starter fluid from Walmart that time so I didn't grind it down in the -10 degree weather.

RedBlok

When I brought my M923 home from Ft. Benning, GA to Denver, CO I drained the batteries by leaving a switch on over night in Dallis, TX. I had a charder, the one in the picture, but I was too far from the grid to plug it in. I bought a small generator at Harbor Freight and I can now recharge completely off-the-grid. It was great because M923A1s are hard to start in the cold and I killed it again in Hays, Kansas.
View attachment 518268View attachment 518269View attachment 518270

To charge it with a 12v charger, I made up 4 short (12") jumper with clips I bought at a autoparts store. To get it done, disconnect one end of both short bridges between batteries. Then connect all negative ends together and all positive ends together. My charger is a heavy duty 12v charger that puts out 40 amps. It takes about 90 minutes to charge them up enough to start it. I used starter fluid from Walmart that time so I didn't grind it down in the -10 degree weather.
Nice setup - Thanks for sharing it.

Redblok

RedBlok

Recovery delayed a week. The Boss decided to eliminate the remote team I work on. Claims he only wants people working local and not removed from the CP. He loves to micromanage and he can't do that when we are remote.

Cheers.