• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries.... ?

royg

volts are volts and amps are amps. I don't really care if my electrons are wrapped in red, yellow, or blue plastic.

for $59 you can buy a group 65 battery at walmart.
Do two group 65 fit the plastic tray/holddown in the hmmwv? no
Do two group 65 fit in the space? yes.
can you cut some 2x4 to block them in nice and tight? yes
should you be mindfull they are well secured to not short against anything and burn your hmmwv to the ground? yes.

It's a terrible idea. count me in.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AGM is the way to go, I don't want the wife sitting on top of a hydrogen bomb.
As stated the 31s are probably too long

papakb

I've been running 24F flat topped batteries in my 996 for a couple of years now. I got tired of replacing those worthless 6TLs every 2 years. The 24Fs fit right into the original holddown bracket and eliminate all that cable crossing mess that AMG created. A straight forward link between them cleans up the battery box tremendously. I saw no reason to go with fancy (expensive) Optima batteries or flooded AGM types. Do you really care what they look like after the passenger seat is in place as long as the truck starts? No one's going to see them but you 99.9% of the time anyway!

springer1981

I went with 2 Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. I was going to go with the $98 batteries but they were only 650 CCA. I upgraded to the $129 800 CCA group 34 batteries. 3 year free replacement and then 2 years pro rated is hard to beat. Made by Johnson Controls and they rate high on the good batteries list. Also Made in USA.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree regarding the Optimas. In the old days, that 20 years ago, I could get 10 years out of them. Not anymore.

Odyssey has a good reputation. You can order them through Battery's Plus. They even can get you fresh 6TL in a couple days. They have good coupons!

papakb

Springer1981, Don't forget your hold down bracket! These batteries have a lot of power in them and will burn thru the body in a blinding flash f they short out when rough handling.

blutow

I bit the bullet and got the original military hawkers. I plan to keep the truck for a while and they are made by the same company that makes odyssey batteries. I've got a 12 year old odyssey battery in a jet ski that is still working, so I'm a fan. If you contact the hawker folks direct, they sell the hawker for less than what the 6tl oddyssey's go for (sbut till expensive). I'm a sucker for keeping things all-original.

For what it's worth, I have an extra unused pair of hawkers that got a little dinged up in shipping that are less than a year old if anyone is interested. I was keeping them because I was considering buying another hmmwv, but I don't have time for that right now (I'll make a really good deal to get them out of my garage). I'm in Austin, TX area (not something I'd ship). Feel free to direct message me if anyone local is interested.

sue

I bit the bullet and got the original military hawkers. I plan to keep the truck for a while and they are made by the same company that makes odyssey batteries. I've got a 12 year old odyssey battery in a jet ski that is still working, so I'm a fan. If you contact the hawker folks direct, they sell the hawker for less than what the 6tl oddyssey's go for (sbut till expensive). I'm a sucker for keeping things all-original.

For what it's worth, I have an extra unused pair of hawkers that got a little dinged up in shipping that are less than a year old if anyone is interested. I was keeping them because I was considering buying another hmmwv, but I don't have time for that right now (I'll make a really good deal to get them out of my garage). I'm in Austin, TX area (not something I'd ship). Feel free to direct message me if anyone local is interested.
O

optimas, USED to be one of the best, not anymore. It’s ashamed that for a few cents in profit they have really went down in quality. I know a few people in auto parts stores. The old guys working there are amazed how the quality went down big time.
One of the local speed shops have stopped carrying them altogether over the return and warranty issues.
Bottom line is we have Costco 12 volts in our hmmve and the a-3. There life so far has been 4years plus.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Optima's lasted three years for the $$$, Since winter was around I decided to use two of my boat batteries. Deka 24M7 Marine batteries , 1000 amps cranking and maintenance free, got them for $125.00 at the marine store, no problem at a good price

justinn

How dinged up are we talking? :) I am also in Austin(out by Oasis) and have my business in Leander. I'd be interested in them though. PM me to discuss

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with 2 Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. I was going to go with the $98 batteries but they were only 650 CCA. I upgraded to the $129 800 CCA group 34 batteries. 3 year free replacement and then 2 years pro rated is hard to beat. Made by Johnson Controls and they rate high on the good batteries list. Also Made in USA.

I also went with Walmart batteries, AGM Group 65 Platinum series, made by East Penn, rated at 750A CCA (on my batteries it is listed at 775 CCA). Price went up from $150 to $170, but still very good for AGM with 48 month warranty.
They seem to be the East Penn Deka Intimidator 9A65 equivalent, with the same weight and CCA capacity, but with 12 months or longer warranty. I also lined the battery case bed with non-flammable foam in order to absorb vibrations.
After 1 1/2 years they are within 25-40mV of each other, which is very good and I recommend getting two with the most recent and identical month & year manufacturing date code if anyone is going this route.
I am not a proponent of any cheap stuff and in this case I am mentioning it because it is a great value, as I am familiar with some of the battery manufacturers.

hmmwv-newbie

My new rig came with Exide 6T AGMs but I have no idea how old they are since it wasn’t written on the label, is there another place it would be?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Deka's are showing at $174.00, but here in Michigan Boaters Value is selling them at $125.00, I have seen them as low as $114.00 in Fl
I do like the dual battery terminal ends, I can attach the battery tender and the other gadgets.

Deka 1.jpgDeka 2.jpg

4x4Junkie13

I cant start a conversation for whatever reason, probably because I new to the forum but I am in SATX and travel up your way twice a week. I may be interested.

blutow

I cant start a conversation for whatever reason, probably because I new to the forum but I am in SATX and travel up your way twice a week. I may be interested.
I’ve already connected w the other forum member who expressed interest and he lives about 5 minutes from me. I’ll ping you if he doesn’t end up getting them.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
volts are volts and amps are amps. I don't really care if my electrons are wrapped in red, yellow, or blue plastic.

for $59 you can buy a group 65 battery at walmart.
Do two group 65 fit the plastic tray/holddown in the hmmwv? no
Do two group 65 fit in the space? yes.
can you cut some 2x4 to block them in nice and tight? yes
should you be mindfull they are well secured to not short against anything and burn your hmmwv to the ground? yes.

It's a terrible idea. count me in.
I also installed 2 x Group 65 and added some non-flammable foam to fill the plastic tray gaps and absorb vibrations.

Indeed volts are volts and amps are amps, however there are a few other factors that differentiate batteries:

1. Total charge/ discharge cycles
2. Charge efficiency- over time the battery absorbs the same or more energy to charge, but it delivers less and less with each cycle
3. Capacity at lower temperatures
4. Resistance at vibrations
5. Technology- AGM, VRLA/ SLA, basic lead acid, etc. (not including LiFePo4, Li-Ion types)

EDIT: The Walmart batteries are very good, manufactured by East Penn, here in US. Actually, I know their Platinum AGM are made by East Penn, not sure about the other models, which could also be Johnson Controls. Both manufacturers are very good with tight processes and for the money the Walmart batteries are a great deal, especially when considering the longer 36 & 48 months warranty and the 90 days return policy.

Last edited:

Eddy1947

Will a LiFePO4 battery with the following description work for the battery in an Hmmwv:

(It is listed as 24V 300Ah LiFePO4 Battery Built-in BMS Lithium Iron Phosphate Cells.)

Product details:
Delivery date: 2023
Battery type: 3.2V Lifepo4 battery
Fixed amount: 300AH
Nominal voltage: 25.6V
Maximum charging current: 50a
Instantaneous discharge current: 200a
Continuous discharge current: 100A
Life: 6000 cycles or more
Size: 535*215*207mm (+/-10mm)
Charge temperature: 0 to 45 ° C
Discharge temperature: -20 to 60 ° C
Storage temperature: -20 to 65 ° C
Operating voltage range: 20V to 29.2V
Electrical voltage: 29.2V
Overload protection voltage: 29.2V / 0.05 V
Protective voltage for overload: 20V / 0.05 V
Protect the battery temperature: 60 ° C Plusmn 5 ° C
Output and Parameters: High Current Positive / Negative Connection column (red positive, black).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks