• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries

Bighurt

Since my trucks hibernate, I run 2.

However I'd like to figure out how to make them plug in play. Slide the tray in start truck, need more slide in two trays. Seeing as I'm one driver with muiltiple trucks, it makes sense that I just take a battery tray to the truck I need to use. Think of my truck collection as a big set of cordless tools and the pack is the battery tray. Cheaper to have one or two trays for the collection than 10+ batteries.

Not working on the idea at the moment, but I'd like to at some point make it work.

jrod66

this is a cool idea, plus you could put plugs on the ends of your cables like on a removable winch, you have less chance of your batteries going bad from sitting too long also

FormerNewMVGuy

Just a thought here, But with only two Batteries, you wont be able to use the slave connector.

I dunno , i always run four batteries, Because i have multiple vehicles, i need the slave feature.

sandcobra164

You still have the slave connector hooked up with 2 batteries. You're still wiring the batteries in series and still running 24 Volts. With 2 batts, you're good down in my neck of the woods.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love engineering/welding/fab'in but 'lectrics - not so much. So if someone can check this - it may un-muddy the waters a little: but what to do with all those spare links!

Attachments

I just ditched my 6tl batteries in one of my M915A1 tractors. They were interstate
6tls I had bought new when I picked up the truck. Took them back to an interstate distributor
and he said according to his book they are only listed at 420 cca! Dang I sure thought they'd be far more than that! Even after the pro-rate on the warranty a new set of 6tls was going to set me back over 500.00! So I went with standard commercial batteries for alot less and nearly twice the cca's . I did go with 4 batteries instead of two. Just my 2cents.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love engineering/welding/fab'in but 'lectrics - not so much. So if someone can check this - it may un-muddy the waters a little: but what to do with all those spare links!
The way you have your 2 battery setup drawn will work. You'll have some spare links you don't need anymore. Hold on to them to use in the future if needed.

You also need to make sure you hook your small 12v wire right when going to two batteries. It should be hooked up to the positive side of the battery that has the negative going to ground. Does that make sense?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to make sure you hook your small 12v wire right when going to two batteries. It should be hooked up to the positive side of the battery that has the negative going to ground. Does that make sense?
That is how it is in the -10 diag though I don't think the reproduction scale makes that clear. I haven't hooked up a 12v +ve yet on my two cAt batteries yet, but that would be the way I'd go... Though I think I've read else where on here that 12v would be better obtained from an inverter (technically a step down transformer) to get 12 from 24 thus not unbalancing the two 12v batteries by drawing current from just one.

--- thanks for checking the diag. :grin:

One idea for the spare links is to put a fake link between the two middle terminals, run the power link from each of the middle terminals to an incab isolator, so on the face of it, the batteries look like they are linked for 24v starting, but if the isolator in the cab is open then no start will be achieved - however 12v for the radio etc., would work - theft deterent or what have you.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one 12v wire the -10 shows is for the cold start pre-heater glow plug. I think use is so intermittent unbalancing your batteries isn't a concern. Balance issues would probably come from higher draw or constant use 12v applications.