• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Advice needed

cobratodd

Lots of threads here on batteries, so at the end of the day; with all of your lessons learned, what would you recommend to someone who has a 5 Ton with 4 dead Hawker HASP-FT 6TL batteries?

I have read about the Optima Redtop option, I don't like the idea of cutting back so much of the capacity.

Found lots of other options with less CCA for less money

Read about reconditioning the existing, but I believe I actually lost a few of the cells because after 48 hours on the trickle charger, I'm still only getting 6 or 9 volts on two of the batteries

It's so painful to drop $360 each on 4 milspec batteries - the cost of ownership is going to kill me - I may have to unload my machine:(

Last edited:

91W350

2 8D batteries, easy to wire in, slight mods for battery tire down. You will like them. We are using them in several trucks. Glen

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I use two 8Ns in the m819, my thought is if two of these batteries will start a D9 or a D10, they WILL start my 855, 250. my first set of blems in 04 cost me $120, $160 later in 09 when I needed another set

3dAngus

I paid $125 for an unused Hawker battery at the Ga. Rally. I believe he ships. Check the classifieds, or use search. He still has a lot of them left from people who did not make it to the rally.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with the 2 out of 4 good 6TLs that came with my truck, and 2 new group 31s. The GP31 requred a slight mod to the battery box and a new hold down that took about 30 min to figure out and fabricate. It has worked great for almost 2 years, even through a Michigan winter. It will crank strong on just two GP31s, but I never tried it in cold weather or extended periods, just as a quick test.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mikev was the seller. A super stand up guy. I just ordered a boatload of CR123A batteries from Mike. Should have got more at the rally.

cobratodd

Very interesting - I'm going to try to recover what I have, then if that doesn't work - I'll try the 8D or 8N option. Awesome information - thank you to all for the advice!!!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zap the hawkers with high amps for a long time with a CONSTANT VOLTAGE charger. They should come back. This info came right from a Hawker Engineer when I had the same problem. They came back to life.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the thread title and thought you might be offering us the voice of authority and tell us the final ruling of what's best.:idea:

Like something other than what the other hundreds of battery threads have covered.:deadhorse:

Nope, you posted a non-conclusive and un-educating post.aua

Could you please simply explain why you chose your thread title?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title Fixed!

Remember, when others search in the future, they make decisions(what to read) based on thread titles.

People often complain about the search function, when in fact they can improve it simply by titling there thread properly.

Also, did I miss which truck you have? The multi-fuels and the Cummins each have their own needs(imho).

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818: I installed two Group 34's (ea. rated @1000 CA and 795 CCA [32° F]) from Costco. I don't have extreme cold weather issues in So Cal so two are plenty. See pic for how they fit with original tie down and some wood blocking (2 X 6 and 2 X 4 with measurements written on them).
Battery Box 12-06-11 (20).jpg

Last edited:

6x6TRex

M818: I installed two Group 34's (1000 CA and 795 CCA) from Costco.
BAD IDEA! Do not use two batteries of different CCA! The smaller CCA battery will draw down the higher CCA battery and shorten its life. Have had a couple farmers come into work to buy 2 new group 31s because they used two with different CCAs.

Its the same principle when you tap one battery for a 12V feed. Always pair your batteries together: age, voltage, and CCA!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BAD IDEA! Do not use two batteries of different CCA! The smaller CCA battery will draw down the higher CCA battery and shorten its life. Have had a couple farmers come into work to buy 2 new group 31s because they used two with different CCAs.

Its the same principle when you tap one battery for a 12V feed. Always pair your batteries together: age, voltage, and CCA!
Clarification: They are the same batteries each having temperate and cold weather ratings:
Group 34
Cranking Amps (CA) 1000/ Cold Cranking Amps @ (32° F) (CCA) 795
The ratings are listed on the red portion of the batteries in my pic.

I wouldn't pair up dissimilar batteries.

An additional note, they are also wired up to a Solargizer.

plumkrazy

Brian--How long have these bats. been installed? Do you get the same length of service, if you have no odd electric problems, with 2 batteries as compared to 4?

Regards--Allen

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian--How long have these bats. been installed? Do you get the same length of service, if you have no odd electric problems, with 2 batteries as compared to 4?

Regards--Allen
Installed for about a year now so still evaluating length of service time. No electrical problems whatsoever. In the warm climate of So Cal the extra cranking power is not needed from four batteries. I'd imagine that you might have the same weather conditions in TX. However, I can upgrade to four if I ever need to.

Cycletek

I have 2 Red Top Optima 1000 CCA's for my 24v and I have 3 Red Top Optima 1000 CCA's for my 12 volt accessories and my 2500 Watt 110 volt inverter, I get my 12 volt charging through a Vanner Equalizer till I install my 200 amp 12/24 HMMWV Alternator, plenty of power!

roflroflrofl

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two group 31 batteries in my M818. I can't remember exactly, but they are about 1100 CCA. Starts fine.