• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery box replacement

Diesel Dennis

Good Morning All,

One thing I must fix before any roadtrips is the battery box. It is completely rotted out, so badly in fact I haven't moved it(the box) because I know it's going to disintegrate.
My question, is the new style plastic box a direct replacement?
I could fabicate a new steel one but plastic survives so much better around batteries. I also have a line on a surplus plastic unit, if it will fit without any mods I will pick it up!

TIA for some input,

D-Dennis

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is a direct replacement, although you will need to drill the holes for the retention pins the plastic box uses and you will need to unbolt the old arms that held in the metal box. I found on one of clintogf's deuces which I converted over that the old arm interfered with the retention pin plate.

Diesel Dennis

Marcus and Clinto,
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to get the box ASAP as the bottom of mine is about 80% GONE!
Don't want to go for a drive and have the batts held in by the cables!!
Thanks again,

D-Dennis

phil2968

I have to show you what I did for the trip to the Ga Rally! I don't have the time to get a new box from PCtrans so I did this to get to the rally! A piece of scrap plywood and 1x2 and some Walmart Battery boxes and a few screws! Done! No batteries hanging by their cables! The 1x2 was necessary so the boxes would clear the clips in the rear.

Attachments

paradeduty

any other alternate battery box suggestions

How about that - I am in need of replacing the battery box on one of my trucks, too.

But I need suggetions. The battery box on this MV sits out from under the cab (behind the cab - truck is a cabover). I love the new plastic/composite battery boxes available now but they do not have a cover for obvious reasons. Any suggestions. Is there something better or more appropriate out there. I would hate to fab up a steel cover for a plastic box - what a shame. I could always just fab up a new steel one and Rhino liner it I guess! Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, Dave.

Gunner0311

I would like to be "proactive" and buy a replacement battery box before mine completely
rots out. What supply outfits have the plastic ones and any idea how
exspensive they are?