• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Box Slides

rustystud

I installed some heavy duty slides for my battery tray after checking my batteries and almost giving myself a Hernia pulling out the tray !
Here are some pictures of the finished project.
The slides where bought from a company in England that supplies parts for emergency vehicles. Like pull out trays for the jaws of life and such.
The cost was around $250.00 a pair. Shipping was about $100.00 , So I bought two pairs since shipping stayed the same.
As you can see the slides are extremely thick and are capable of holding 500 Ibs of weight in a moving vehicle. I replaced the balls with stainless steel ones so I would not have to deal with rust sticking the slides together. Glad I did this modification too. Now it is so simple to check the water level and general condition of the batteries.

Attachments

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed some heavy duty slides for my battery tray after checking my batteries and almost giving myself a Hernia pulling out the tray !
The slides where bought from a company in England that supplies parts for emergency vehicles. Like pull out trays for the jaws of life and such.
The cost was around $250.00 a pair. Shipping was about $100.00 , So I bought two pairs since shipping stayed the same.
As you can see the slides are extremely thick and are capable of holding 500 Ibs of weight in a moving vehicle. I replaced the balls with stainless steel ones so I would not have to deal with rust sticking the slides together. Glad I did this modification too. Now it is so simple to check the water level and general condition of the batteries.
Thanks for sharing Rustystud!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, those are some heavy duty slides! I used a pair of 300 lb rated slides for my propane tanks on the M934 “motor home”. They look like toys next to these.
on another note, how have you been? We haven’t seen you in these parts for some time. It’s good to hear from you…

rustystud

Wow, those are some heavy duty slides! I used a pair of 300 lb rated slides for my propane tanks on the M934 “motor home”. They look like toys next to these.
on another note, how have you been? We haven’t seen you in these parts for some time. It’s good to hear from you…
Yes I took a little "sabbatical" for two years to try and get things done around here. I usually spent three hours a night on Steel Soldiers, time I could have used on projects that needed to get done. So when I got a slap on the wrist for not playing nice I took that as a sign that I needed to move on. I'll still come and play here now, but will not spend the time here I used too.

rustystud

Yeah, welcome back Old man!! Sure did miss you.
Thanks Guy.
So they made you a Moderator. About time ! You have the most knowledge on these generators then anyone I know !
On a side note. My son might be going to Germany for a spell. It's a college thing since he is in advanced German language classes. Actually he might be going for a translator certificate later on he's that good.
I told him about you setting down there in the south. If he did go, the wife and I planned on visiting him there. Maybe we could look you up ?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I like it! That looks like a very worthwhile mod.

Larry Weibert

Thanks Valence.
As I've gotten older and sadly weaker it's harder to do simple tasks on the Deuce. Like check battery water levels. So anything I can do now to make it easier will only help me down the road.
Rusty its great seeing you back. I retired the main job 4 yrs ago and still struggle with time to get to the projects I so badly want to get done. I hear you on the changes age brings. We work slower and smarter. Great job on the battery slides.

162tcat

Love the slides! Did something similar on my boat because the Trojan t105’s are in a stupid spot and heavy as hell. M923 bats are next. Hate having them under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

Love the slides! Did something similar on my boat because the Trojan t105’s are in a stupid spot and heavy as hell. M923 bats are next. Hate having them under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I always thought that was a stupid place to put batteries ! "Hey guys lets put some extremely caustic acid filled batteries in the cab with the troops ! "

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea 162tcat while the 939 series batteries seem to be in a strange place it also will keep them from shorting in salt water so higher is better. Had my batteries shorting in just brackish salt water in my 816. My 939 series came with 6T sealed batteries under the passenger seat so safe around people and electronics. If you have the non sealed in the 939 series if I remember there was a vent hose going out the back of the cab. Since hydrogen sulfide gas is heavier than air it will collect in the 939 series box so you want the vent tube installed / correct vented.

Last edited:

rustystud

Yea 162tcat while the 939 series batteries seem to be in a strange place it also will keep them from shorting in salt water so higher is better. Had my batteries shorting in just brackish salt water in my 816. My 939 series came with 6T sealed batteries under the passenger seat so safe around people and electronics. If you have the non sealed in the 939 series if I remember there was a vent hose going out the back of the cab. Since hydrogen sulfide gas is heavier than air it will collect in the 939 series box so you want the vent tube installed / correct vented.
Remember the military asked for the cheapest trucks that could do the job. The manufactures did their best with what they had, but many times it was not optimal just expedient. Hence batteries in the cab.
Of course we can fix this with our own upgrades ! Like my heavy duty battery tray slides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks