• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery cut-off switch for deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very slow current drain in the deuce, when the entire truck is shut down and everything is turned off, the batteries will slowly be drained by an unknown source (come back in two days and the batteries are dead). The batteries are new, and the alternator seems to work fine when the truck is running. I don't have the patience to track down the problem, so I feel the best solution to this would be to install a master battery cut-off switch inline between the batteries and the starter switch on the floor. When you shut down the truck, flip the switch to OFF and no current flows anywhere.

Has anyone else done something like this? If so, what type of switch have you used for this application? I have done a casual look around and found most switches seem to max out at 5 - 10 amps, and I don't want to trust them to handle 700 amps or so coming from the batteries upon startup.

M1075

You could try one of the bar type battery terminals where you raise the bar to break the flow or you could get one of the master switches used on a M911 and other military vehicles. Check out the red switch under the driver's door and above the battery box. It is easy to reach and clearly visible on your way into and out of the truck.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the switches mounted between my seats on the floor. It works great and came from ebay for under $30.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either of those switches, the one hndrsonj used and the one Saturn has, looks like it would fill my application. Thanks, guys!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would leave the connection between the battery and starter motor terminal intact, since it's extremely unlikely that the solenoid relay contact would cause any drain. Place the switch in the circuit after this terminal and reduce the current rating requirements for the switch by a factor of ten.....

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Used this on a M151A1 and it worked well. I finally found the short inside the original wiring harness. I can't remember if I got it at NAPA or an auto parts store. It comes with two keys. Just remove the key when you park the vehicle.

Attachments

m.walker

I've got the one uglyranger has a pic of on my 5 ton betwwen the ground and the battery and it's worked for 2 years ! I bought it at harbor freight for $2.99 . I bought 4 because I thought it would burn up but it's lasted this long ! Plus it keeps anyone from just hopping in and firing it up , I keep the key locked in the side box .

Sephirothq

The ones from Harbor Freight are only rated at 50 amps on the 24 volt side and 100 on the 12 volt. so i would guess they are rated by wattage, but usually electrical connections are rated in amps not watts, so it is hard to say what is correct. Even at 100 amps it doesn't seem like it would last.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at NAPA for a Pollack or Cole Hersee industrial grade battery disconnect switch. Summit racing has them also. Something with a 150-300 amp for 15 second rating will work fine(typicaly capable of about 1000 amps inrush). They are available with or without a key. Install it on the negative cable. From then on, when you need to do anything electrical you can safely work on the truck with the switch off.
I mounted mine behind the parking brake on the floor. It can be reached easily from the drivers seat or from the ground. I ran a new cable from the battery negative terminal over to the switch, then I used the original ground cable between the switch and the frame on the drivers side(you'll need one new long cable)

This is a link to the actual switch I used(pollack 51-302).(ebay) http://shortlinks.net/qkf403

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
73m819 said:
i plan to install cat master disconnect switch
Cat has a 1000 and 2000 amp disconnect switch! I wonder what they cost?

Edit; I just looked at the Cat switches and the 1000 and 2000 amp rating is intermittent not continuous and they are manufactured by Cole Hersee.

bugei

+1 to doghead.

i love it, i just shut off my "hidden switch", and all my lights and gauges and everything else go dark, so i only have to think of ONE THING, and so i only exceed my rating of "THINGS" by one. i leave my light switches and everything on all the time. works for me, and i find it hard to screw up.

m35a2cowner

I put a keyed battery disconnect in mine in the floorboard of the passenger's side. There is a dimple in the floor board and if you drill it out it puts the switch very close to the starter. It is accessible from the driver's seat and would-be thief won't be looking for it there. Just disconnect the wire from the solenoid and put it on one side of the switch and a short (Heavy Duty) battery cable from the switch to the starter solenoid. I under-coated the switch so it is harder to see. A bit of theft protection as no is looking for it where it is and it disconnects everything. All parts from NAPA. Its further from the exhaust than it looks

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks