• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery cutoff using Nato slave plug

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can it be done?

I have a nato slave plug at front of battery box. I'm wondering if I used ground cables to go to and from the slave plug and essentially have the slave plug complete the 'circuit' whether or not this would work.

I would need to modify the plug cap/cover so it would complete the circuit. To cut off the battery you would essentially screw off the cap and break the negative connection.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is a NATO unit rated at 200+ constant Amps. I hope so or you will have one great BBQ. Don’t forget the marshmallows for s’mores.

Bad idea. Use things for what they are meant for.

If you want a power cutoff then buy a proper unit. They are not that expensive.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is a NATO unit rated at 200+ constant Amps. I hope so or you will have one great BBQ. Don’t forget the marshmallows for s’mores.

That is some good advice. I think a lot of us are builders of better mouse traps, but sometimes the mouse trap we build ends up trapping ourselves. Lol.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Curious how something rated for 200 amps would be dangerous to complete the ground circuit as the OP describes.

Not something I would do because I want the jump-start option available, but I appreciate any free education offered.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious how something rated for 200 amps would be dangerous to complete the ground circuit as the OP describes.

Not something I would do because I want the jump-start option available, but I appreciate any free education offered.
I doubt these were designed for constant current.

Even so, there are better safer properly designed and time tested options.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I see NO reason WHY this wouldn't work in theory. Actually a novel idea. BUT BuT but.....

IT DOES raise a SERIOUS concern being a one off as stated in above threads. Clearly an accident waiting to happen.

IMO, Leave it as-is...might come in handy.

Quality rated battery cut-off switch with or without a key. This is something most understand ??

Key in pocket rather a bulging slave connector in pocket, LOL.

The girls will still like you, CAMO

Thumper580

I doubt these were designed for constant current.

Even so, there are better safer properly designed and time tested options.
Tobash, you nailed it. Many switches can be turned on and off, BUT were they designed to function as such. At work it was discovered that some electricians were using the disconnect levers on 200 and 400 Amp circuit breakers as "on and off" switches... Bad idea. Much better in install a correctly designed "switch" for that function.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are willing to give up the slave connector then go this route, those Hella switches are rated well above anything else in its class and you have a key to remove. the smaller switch kills the 12V which is about all those little switches should be used for.
EDIT, and this key is much easier to carry around in your pocket than a NATO plug.

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It could be done certainly. But the risk of having someone plug in a slave cable to the wrong port could be a disaster.

Now, I'd recommend the other way around. Make a mount for a slave cable male plug to be held. Then make a slave port be the "plug". That way there's no way for the mixup to happen.

It's cheaper to buy a power disconnect though IMO.

Guyfang

Staff member
About 45-50 years ago, I went into a HAM radio operators shack. Only thing that worked was the overhead lights. He grabbed a male 220, (German) plug, and stuck it in one of the many sockets in the shack. On came all the equipment in the room. I asked why he did that. He explained that it was his "secrete" way of keeping non HAM's from fooling with his gear. I asked him what about someone like me coming in, and plugging in my equipment. It would not be good! His reply, "If you don't know about it, screw you. I did not ask you to fool with my stuff, and you get, what you get." He also told me that it was an idea put forth in the AARL, HAM Magazine. Did not sound right to me then, and sure hasn't changed in the last 45-50 years.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Must not have met many hams huh? There are idiots in every hobby/activity. Safeguarding your equipment from misuse damage isn't a bad idea. All it takes is someone keying up on the wrong band/mode into even nothing to cost hundreds or thousands of dollars in damage. Course the right thing is to use any opportunity as a teaching moment. But I'm not at the control/oversight of my gear all the time. So I can understand having a "key".

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember that shack power-up trick. Might have been a Hints and Kinks from L O N G ago. Back then transmitter power might be exposed on a terminal block on the back of the chassis, the chassis might not be at ground potential (no-transformer or auto-transformer type power supply), plate caps sticking up and exposed, filter caps mounted with terminals sticking up, etc. Obviously all the dumb ones were not eradicated over the years because there are many more today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks