• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery disconnect switch

FormerNewMVGuy

I dont have a cucv, but Jatonka sells a real heavy duty 1000 amp keyed master cutoff switch, I bought one for my 5 ton, just as a security measure,
Prolly the best one i have found....

lavarok

What about... a cut off inbetween the 2 bateries including the smaller red wire that goes back to the fire wall...
Or would i need 2 switches?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Only one switch is needed to kill power to the electrical system. Switch between ground and the front battery NEG terminal. Read my first post in this thread.

Chassis ground and main bus bar ground to one side of the switch and front battery NEG to the other.

AndrewH

I think in order to kill the truck with one switch you would need some sort of compound switch installed between the batteries to isolate the 12v feed from the front battery to the truck and also the rear battery from the front battery. When "on" they would all be connected and when "off" they would all be isolated. This would break the 12v feed to the truck and break the 24v circut between the batteries. (opening the 24v circut between the batteries to kill it). Im sure somone makes a switch like this but to what expense.

kentuckycucv

The OP started this thread because of a battery drain. I recently shorted my batteries bc of my handywork and going off road and hitting a rut too hard.... Anyway while my batteries were shorted out and smoking and while I was taking the bolts off with a channel locks ...I was thinking it sure would be handy to have a cut off switch on the batteries... Plus (When) I have the Starter realay problem. i COULD JUST OPEN the hood and flip the off switch.... and extra security.

AndrewH

Yep, thats why I put up that post about the weird compound switch. Also, Perko makes the switch, Now I'd have to verify that idea would work. Otherwise, a switch on the 24v starter feed would stop the starter in the event of a run on and would slow down an unauthorized start/theft. A ground side switch would work in a normally operating/wired truck which is not running-on already.