• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Disconnection Sequence?

HikerMan

Hey all trying to do the doghead relay mod and need to know the disconnection sequence for the M1009?

I know the engine plate says 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1, but which cable is what number? Don't want to burn my truck down :?

Thanks

K9Vic

Well this is how I disconnect mine.

Front to back. 1-Ground(Ground post on 1st), 2-12v(Positive post on 1st)., 3-12v(Ground post on 2nd), 4-24v(Positive post on 2nd). Reverse that to hook back up.

HikerMan

Well this is how I disconnect mine.

Front to back. 1-Ground(Ground post on 1st), 2-12v(Positive post on 1st)., 3-12v(Ground post on 2nd), 4-24v(Positive post on 2nd). Reverse that to hook back up.
Thanks for the reply, just to make sure, 'first' is the front battery correct?

I just found in the military manual:

BATTERY CABLE MAINTENANCE (Con’t).

1) Slide back cover (23) from clamp (22) of negative cable (3). Loosen nut (21) and disconnect negative cable from front battery (4) negative (-) terminal. Rotate cover to underside of clamp.

2) Slide back cover (23) from clamp (22) of connector cable (9) at rear battery (19) negative (-) terminal. Loosen nut (21) and disconnect connector cable. Rotate cover to underside of clamp.

3) Slide back cover (23) from clamp (22) of connector cable (9). Loosen nut (21) and disconnect connector cable from front battery (4) positive (+) terminal. Rotate cover to underside of clamp.

4) Slide back cover (23) from clamp (22) of positive cable (11). Loosen nut (21) and disconnect positive cable from rear battery (19) positive (+) terminal. Rotate cover to underside of clamp.

Would either one work? Kind of apprehensive about this...

armytruck63

Here's how I unhook mine:
1. Unhook the positive on the rear battery - kills the 24 volt supply to the vehicle.
2. Unhook the negative on the rear battery.
3. Unhook the positive on the front battery - kills the 12 volt supply to the vehicle.
4. Unhook the negative on the front battery.

Don't let the cables touch anything metal until the ground (step 4) is unhooked. It goes without saying that the engine must not be running while unhooking the batteries.

Hook up in reverse order. :grd:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are just wanting to disable the electrical system without removing the batteries:

Remove the negative terminal from the front battery and then the negative terminal from the rear battery. That will take care of the 12v and 24v system.

Same as steps 1 and 2 from post #3. The turning of the cover is to help it not make contact with anything metal.

Hook up in reverse order.

Or follow the steps in the above posts.

Last edited:

lavarok

Here's how I unhook mine:
1. Unhook the positive on the rear battery - kills the 24 volt supply to the vehicle.
2. Unhook the negative on the rear battery.
3. Unhook the positive on the front battery - kills the 12 volt supply to the vehicle.
4. Unhook the negative on the front battery.

Don't let the cables touch anything metal until the ground (step 4) is unhooked. It goes without saying that the engine must not be running while unhooking the batteries.

Sorry, but your asking for trouble if you start with the positive cable when unhooking anything. NEG is always first to get disconnected and last to get connected.

Disconnect: Neg front, Neg rear, Pos front, Pos rear
Connect: Pos rear, Pos front, Neg rear, Neg front

Consider if your using a tool or wrench to unhook or loosen bolts. If you start on the POS and accidentally ground the wrench to the frame or metal anywhere under the hood your going to get a nice arc. If your sweating and your shirt is wet, you will also get a not so nice tingly feeling if your leaning against the truck as you ground the POS via your wrench, hand, arm, body, etc...

armytruck63

You're right, you have to be very careful. I was basing my advice on saving electronics. I once put a CB radio in my dad's M37 (when I was about 16) using a cigarette lighter socket attached to the positive of battery #1 for +12 Volts. The negative of the socket was provided by the attachment to the bottom of the dash.

My dad had installed a battery disconnect switch on the ground (negative) cable from battery #1. What I didn't expect was getting -12 Volts at the cigarette lighter socket when the battery disconnect switch was in the open or "disconnect" position. Luckily, I discovered this before I blew up the CB.

I put a 35 Volt diode on the positive lead going to the cigarette lighter socket to prevent any negative voltage from getting through.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are just wanting to disable the electrical system without removing the batteries:

Remove the negative terminal from the front battery and then the negative terminal from the rear battery. That will take care of the 12v and 24v system.

Same as steps 1 and 2 from post #3. The turning of the cover is to help it not make contact with anything metal.

Or follow the steps in the above posts.
:ditto:

rakhav

Sorry, but your asking for trouble if you start with the positive cable when unhooking anything. NEG is always first to get disconnected and last to get connected.

Disconnect: Neg front, Neg rear, Pos front, Pos rear
Connect: Pos rear, Pos front, Neg rear, Neg front

Consider if your using a tool or wrench to unhook or loosen bolts. If you start on the POS and accidentally ground the wrench to the frame or metal anywhere under the hood your going to get a nice arc. If your sweating and your shirt is wet, you will also get a not so nice tingly feeling if your leaning against the truck as you ground the POS via your wrench, hand, arm, body, etc...
thank you .. what about the ground..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks