• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Maintainer 24volt

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I bought a solagizer 24 volt maintainer. Any information on how to hook it up to the (2) 12 volt batteries and do you need to disconect before starting generator Mep 002A.
Thanks Bob.

Isaac-1

Easy, just hook up the same as you have the generator hooked up, - to the - post, + to the 24V +, no need to disconnect when running, etc. Note there are 2 distinct types of solargizers, one just provides a pulse to avoid build up of sulfication the other also provides a low level maintenance charge to keep the batteries charged.

Ike

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics of solar panel mounted on trailer????? Also good place to secure the Box.
Thanks for the help.

Bob:jumpin:

gungearz

I've always wondered about these units. Good, Bad, and Quality. Even though I have never had battery issues (Yet) because I buy optimas. What is the life span of a solargizer and are they worth it to you...?

Isaac-1

I bought one of the newer / larger ones with charging (IS-24-L) off that certain auction site at a very reasonably price (a fraction of what other sellers were asking) for the MEP-701a in my back yard, so far it has done a good job of keeping the batteries fully charged even though it is installed in an area that only gets limited direct sunlight. Being epoxy sealed military grade solar panels I would guess your looking at a service life of at least 10 years, maybe more. My MEP-002a also came with one of this same model Solargizer attached to the housing just above the batteries. Online dealers seem to get about $110 for this model new.

Ike

p.s. see this message thread for some more info

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/10126-solargizer-4.html

The only bad thing I've heard was the pulsing of the unit can affect radio equipment. The suggestion was to use a relay to take it out of circuit when the accessory switch was activated. Of course a heavy duty choke ( a coil ) woulwired is series with the radio equipment wouldn't hurt.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the IS24L solar unit hooked up. Sweat, works well, simple to install and operate. As always thanks for the help!!!
Bob.:D

Artisan

The IS-24-L is being phased out.
The replacement is 24VPSC.
I know squat about these things except I went to the mfg website to find
info on the IS-24-L discussed herein and found it was non-existent, I called and got the lowdown,
The replacement is 24VPSC.

Dipstick

I installed an IS-24-L on my Deuce today. I did not get a red light even though it was sunny outside. I hooked the red wire from the box to the battery positive post and the black wire to the negative post. This is the correct way isn't it?

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your battery might be up to charge. Also the light on mine is very faint, then seems to brighten and pulse, slow up barely see it then come back strong again.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they even work well enough if your trucks stay parked inside and only come out once in a while? right now the 5-ton is outside but only until gimp and I get the engine in a can moved and I can get the trucks moved around.

I know they would work if I leave them outside but that isn't going to happen if I can help it.

I popped over to their website and they have a different product for vehicles that are parked indoors often. It actually runs off the truck battery and they suggest it is for vehicles that see often used... However I'm inferring that if you hook up a trickle charger to the truck it would be more than happy to pull power off of the trickle charger. That product is less expensive than the solar powered ones. Hope that helps.

Dipstick

Thanks RJ..... I'll check that out. My batteries are good. A trucker recently remarked on how easily my Brutus fired up cold on a 35 degree day. So I do have it hooked up right polarity wise? Simple stuff electrically speaking. I don't believe I got it wrong. :smile:

PsycoBob

For indoor storage, I've gotten good results from a BatteryMINDer model 24041. They're about $140-150, but they also include a 1/2/4A charger & support flooded, gel & AGM batteries. If connected wrong, they just turn the indicator lights red- no harm done. My only gripe is that they default back to the safest setting 1A charge rate if momentarily disconnected.

They're also weather resistant- I've use extension cords & a slave-cable end to charge trucks outside without any problems.