• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Question

tx.fireman1525

Hey guys, new member here. This is a really great site, glad to be part of it.

Now my fire dept. has a deuce and i was looking around on it and noticed somthing about the batteries. One of the batteries goes directly to the starter from the + post. Now the - post jumps directly over to the + post on the other battery. Is this correct?

Deuce-bigalo

tx.fireman1525 said:
Hey guys, new member here. This is a really great site, glad to be part of it.

Now my fire dept. has a deuce and i was looking around on it and noticed somthing about the batteries. One of the batteries goes directly to the starter from the + post. Now the - post jumps directly over to the + post on the other battery. Is this correct?
If I am not mistaken in my electrical knowledge I believe that when the + goes to a - that would indicate a 24 volt set up (hence the deuces are 24 volt) via 12 volt batteries. If the + on one goes directly to the starter, as long as the rest are set up the 24 volt way, you should be getting 24 volts to the starter. If you have a volt meter, check the + on the battery which runs to the starter and you should be reading 24 volts. Just be careful though when changing them, no sparks our you'll be :jumpin: !!
Good Luck!

Just my [2cents] !!

John (If I am wrong, please correct my misguided ways oh seasoned members! [:)]

cten

This is what I do know as I have just done this.

One cable comes from the starter to the positive end of one battery.

The then the negative goes to the positive on the second battery.

Then the negative from the second battery goes to the frame.

Hope this helps.

I actually have a picture showing this at home but can not download from work.

Will email you a drawing, but really to have an actual picture of the batteries.

Regards,

MVtrucker

24volts is great, just follow D-b's advice and don't short ciruit the system. Always keep your batteries matched, don't put a new one in with an old one. Keep the cable connections clean and tight, you'd be surprised at what a loose clamp will do to a battery post if it arcs. Disconnect the ground cable (-) when working on the truck and you're working with Positive (+) electrical connections, like changing the alternator.