• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery replacement

Z71

Can someone recommend a good source for reasonably priced military 6N batteries? Locally I can only get them from an Interstate battery dealer and they are rather pricey - about $ 150/piece. And I am not impressed by their longevity - or lack of. No more than 2 or 3 years and they are toast. And Interstate only gives 1 year warranty on these.

I am sure many use automotive batteries which a lot cheaper and have much better warranty. Which automotive batteries will fit properly into the battery box (with some wood spacers of course)?

panshark

In my town, there's a couple of places that I can get blemish/seconds batteries (called blem batteries). One's at a salvage yard (old fart is pretty hit and miss, both in supply and memory) and the other spot is a battery/alternator/starter store, they charge a bit more but have a good inventory. I think they both offer a 30 day warranty, I guess it depends on how important warranty is for you.

Don't go with a gel cell. I've heard they don't do well on the 24 volt system. My purchase method was to fit as big of batteries as I could in the box, and try to keep them somewhat matched up on size.

A final note on battery warranty--if you don't tighten down the battery clamp well and get a post to wiggle loose, the 24 volt system will melt that post pretty quick. And it's not a manufacturing defect, hence no warranty. Keep 'em tight.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went to NAPA and purchased their commercial batteries. If you ever go to a 12/24v system three of them will fit in the box.

197thhhc

We use 24 series batteries in our deuces mainly because they are cheap. They hold up over time and we can get 3 in the battery box. The third one is for the auxillery 12volt system.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a question. How many battery threads do we really need? We have dicussed this to death and the answer is still the same. Did you read any of them?

There are no reasonable priced 6TL batteries out there. You want a big battery, you pay a big price.

Now if you want to change battery types, a large majority of us will use the type 24 or type 31 batteries.

My local Interstate dealer will ocasionally have refurb batteries for $40 plus core. If they go dead in a year who cares.

Walmart will get you the same type battery for $100 and give you a three year warranty.

I'm leaving this thread open for now but I may change my mind and close it like the others.

renovate7

Do a search under my name. I posted pics of two froup 24's I got at Wally World installed in my last deuce a while back. Best price, best warranty, best availability. You want one batt to have a left hand postivie ternimal and the other to have a right, 24 and 24F (?). Remenber if you have the original batts in there you can get $24 a piece at a salvage yard, because they're very heavy, vs the $9 Wally gives you as a core.

Z71

Do a search under my name. I posted pics of two froup 24's I got at Wally World installed in my last deuce a while back. Best price, best warranty, best availability. You want one batt to have a left hand postivie ternimal and the other to have a right, 24 and 24F (?). Remenber if you have the original batts in there you can get $24 a piece at a salvage yard, because they're very heavy, vs the $9 Wally gives you as a core.
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. .

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using series 31 in mine and have had no problem what so ever. I did find 1 6TL at the local battery place and they kept it for me, need 2 though. They had over 150 come in the month before and all the rice farmers scooped them up! I did leave it on charge for 43 days (work offshore) and it is still going strong!

Check your local batt shops and leave you name and number, you would be surprised what they come up with...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gotten Interstate blems for $60 each, without cores. Immediately put them on desulfater when I got the home. They are sitting at 13.48 volts till I'm ready to use them.2cents

Z71

Some questions for those who have used group 24 and 24F replacement automotive batteries:

Using these batteries will require a longer crossover cable than the original one used with 6 TL batteries. What gauge and what length cable do I need assuming I used spacers between the batteries and use the existing top holddown bracket?
The OEM crossover cable looks like about 2/0 gauge to me.

Is there a good place to have a link cable like this made?

Would it be a good idea to use 3/8 plywood on the bottom of the battery box, or is it OK to place smaller batteries on the existing metal rails inside the battery box?

Z71

I just bought a compact Schumacher 24Volt battery charger from batterymart.com. for less than $ 100, including shipping. It is fully automatic, and you can charge both batteries while connected in series and inside the battery box without removing the upper holddown bracket or the crossover cable. I measured the charging voltage, and it was 26 Volts at 4 amps. This battery charger also has a 12 Volt setting, so it can be used as a regular automotive battery charger.

Here is the link if anybody is interested. The charger has an all metal case.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-schumacher-12-24-volt-10-amp-charger.html

JOateyNV

Just installed 2 group 34 batteries from Autozone these morning. 800 crank 115 res min. $284.00 without core. 3 year replacement 8 years pro rated.

Z71

Just installed 2 group 34 batteries from Autozone these morning. 800 crank 115 res min. $284.00 without core. 3 year replacement 8 years pro rated.
How big are these dimensionwise? The stock 6TLs are 10X10 inches. Group 34? I will check these out. However, two group 24 batteries from Walmart are only about $ 170 for both with core.