• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery size and type?

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

I am looking at my first M35 and both trucks I am considering will need batteries.

I am an electrician and with extensive mechanical background, but the M35 is new to me.

Can yellow-top or red-top Optima batteries do the work on the LDT multi-fuel engine, or do I need actual full-size truck batteries?

THANKS

hairba11

i've put it some group 27 batts, about 900cca. the 6tl's in the truck are 600cca, so the smaller modern batteries are actually putting out more juice.
2 in the deuce, 4 in the 818, 2 started the 915 just fine this summer, may have to up it to 4 this winter.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
More current yes, but they have a much lower amp hour rating. I have never been a fan of the 6TL batts though.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hearing/reading lots of negatives about the OPTIMA batts lately, like they're made in China now and the quality has gone down-hill, and they must be replaced 3-4 times during the replacement warranty. Anyone with recent experience who know if there's any truth to all this?

T

televisionman007

I'm hearing/reading lots of negatives about the OPTIMA batts lately, like they're made in China now and the quality has gone down-hill, and they must be replaced 3-4 times during the replacement warranty. Anyone with recent experience who know if there's any truth to all this?
ive never used an optima battery. but then again ive never owned a vehicle long enough to change a battery:neutral:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I strongly believe this is inaccurate.

Clintogf has been buying Optima red-tops for her Deuces and CUCV from an Optima dealer here in Atlanta who is also a Mopar guy (we met him through the local Mopar club-he has a Hemi Coronet convertible).

We have bought a lot of blem batteries from him and were recently informed that production is moving from the US (Colorado I think) to Mexico and after this happens, blems will no longer be available.

This info is directly from the Optima dealer himself. I've never looked to see if there is a label on the batteries showing where they are made.

All that being said, we currently have .....5 Deuces and a CUCV with Optima red-tops and we have so far been very happy with them. I am not happy with the 6TL's I have bought. I will continue to buy the Optimas until I find something I like better.

hof3414

Just bought 2 6tls - $450 ouch, quite pricey. I also picked up a 24 volt battery tender so as to prolong the life for hopefully a few years. Battery tender was also not cheap, $110 ouch again. O well need batteries asap as truck is parade tomorrow and was real PITA trying to charge with regular 12 volt charger disconnecting batteries everytime.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW; I see you're in SoCal, maybe this'll help; scored 2 NEW group 31 batts w/950ca and 180mins reserve for $88 bucks a piece at Franklin Truck Parts. Google them, they are all over the SoCal area, good luck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought 2 6tls - $450 ouch, quite pricey. I also picked up a 24 volt battery tender so as to prolong the life for hopefully a few years. Battery tender was also not cheap, $110 ouch again. O well need batteries asap as truck is parade tomorrow and was real PITA trying to charge with regular 12 volt charger disconnecting batteries everytime.
Wow, I'd say you paid at least twice as much as it all should have been.:shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can yellow-top or red-top Optima batteries do the work on the LDT multi-fuel engine, or do I need actual full-size truck batteries?

THANKS
The yellow-top is a deep cycle type and is not suitable as a starting battery. The blue-top is a dual purpose, but when features are compounded into one, compromises are made. Go with the red-top and compared to the 6TL (Hawker Armasafe nowadays) you only sacrifice reserve capacity.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of notes; you don't need to disconnect the batteries when charging with a 12-volt charger and to prolong the life of your battery maintainer, add a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch in line with the wires going to the batteries so that it can be switched off (=isolated) when not used.
It will probably not survive if you crank the engine and happen to have a bad battery connection, which will produce very damaging electrical spikes...same goes for any other electronics or radios, which should be off when cranking.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave Kay- Thanks very much! The Fontana store is only three blocks from where I get on/off the I-10 for work. Will check it out after I'm off of Graveyard shift.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks