• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Battery sparks a lot when I connect it

Vic_949

So I took off my starter solenoid to test it inside it had a spring and a metal thing to push the starter gear out when I was done. I screw back the starter solenoid I put the spring back and the metal thing I put the solenoid back on the starter I connected the wires correctly when I connected all the battery wires and I only had 1 cable to put on the battery it sparked a lot when I put the starter in for the first time and I wired it correctly it didn’t spark a lot when I put that last battery terminal help.

Vic_949

The solenoid is a big magnet. It pushes out the pinon gear when energized with 24VDC.
How can I fix the starter solenoid I only unscrewed 2 screw on the solenoid it had a spring and I magnet the pushes the piñon gear out how can I fix the starter solenoid do I have to use a feeler gauge? Go much to do I have to turn the magnet so the battery’s won’t spark when I connect them.
Thx,Victor

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Something must be connected wrong at the starter, the starter solenoid, the ground cables etc. You will need to familiarize yourself with the electrical schematics and check that each of the wires/cables in the starter area are connected properly. It's virtually impossible for anybody here to know what is wrong with your starter. Each wire and each cable has a number on it. Compare what you have with the schematic that are located on the inside of the doors on your generator. If I lived close to Bakersfield I would be willing to come over and help.

Vic_949

Something must be connected wrong at the starter, the starter solenoid, the ground cables etc. You will need to familiarize yourself with the electrical schematics and check that each of the wires/cables in the starter area are connected properly. It's virtually impossible for anybody here to know what is wrong with your starter. Each wire and each cable has a number on it. Compare what you have with the schematic that are located on the inside of the doors on your generator. If I lived close to Bakersfield I would be willing to come over and help.
It would also help if we knew what model generator you are working with. I don't see that information anywhere in this thread.
im working on a MEP003A I wired the starter solenoid cables correctly but what is the black cable that’s connected from the starter to the starter solenoid

Attachments

loosegravel

What is the number on it? What does the schematic say?
Another way that you can find out what wire or what cable is connected incorrectly is to remove all of them. Connect your batteries as normal and then, one by one connect each wire or cable to your starter the way that you believe they should go. When you connect one incorrectly you will see your problem.

Vic_949

Another way that you can find out what wire or what cable is connected incorrectly is to remove all of them. Connect your batteries as normal and then, one by one connect each wire or cable to your starter the way that you believe they should go. When you connect one incorrectly you will see your problem.
I did that but they keep sparking

loosegravel

I did that but they keep sparking
Are all of the cables and wires remover from the starter and the starter solenoid? If so, then your problem is somewhere else. I would double check the way that your batteries are being connected. In 24VDC you should have two 12V batteries connected in series.

Vic_949

Are all of the cables and wires remover from the starter and the starter solenoid? If so, then your problem is somewhere else. I would double check the way that your batteries are being connected. In 24VDC you should have two 12V batteries connected in series.
I connected them in series

Attachments

Vic_949

It would also help if we knew what model generator you are working with. I don't see that information anywhere in this thread.
im working on a MEP003A
Or, more correctly I can see the wire numbers, but not the description next to them for what they are.
I wired them correctly just like that I went to test the starter solenoid mood I took out the black cable but before I romoved the cable that’s coming from the starter to the solenoid. When I removed the sole noid a spring came out and a metal piece came out the starter sole noid when I was done testing it I put it back how it was to be. Then I started it and the batters sparked. So how’s much do I turn the metal piece to put it back on the starter solenoid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks