• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Tender Advice

The Army has decided to move me to Fort Carson, Colorado early next year. With that being said, I think it would be a smart move to purchase a battery tender for M1009. I don't drive the truck often enough to keep the batteries sufficiently charged and with the extreme cold in Colorado, I figure a battery tender would be a smart move. I am looking at Waterproof Power Tender Plus 24V @ 2.5A - Industrial - Batterytender.com Is there a particular brand that any of you all recommend or would this one suffice? Also, I'd assume that you could just mount this thing up to the bus bar on the firewall? Thanks in advance.

greg burns

Blue:
Last fall I purchased the battery tender model that charges two 12 volt batteries at a time. I left it connected to my Deuce all winter. The truck started without any hesitation in the spring. I thought it was a good investment. I purchased mine from Amazon.

greg

I appreciate the respOnse Greg. I should have been more clear in my thread; I will be driving the truck 2-3 times a week so I'm looking for a permanent under hood mounted tender that can charge 24 volt systems so I won't have charge the batteries separately and then reconnect them in order to drive. Are you happy with the battery tender brand?

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have three different brands of battery tenders which I use on different vehicles. I think that the original Deltran Battery Tender is the best (though I have not had any trouble with the other two knock-off brands). As far as I know, Deltran is the only one offering a 24V. version. I have a 24 volt Deltran on my M38A1. I have the quick disconnect plug (hard wired to the two series connected batteries) so that I just unplug the battery tender and go, then plug it back in when I park the Willys. I have my two motorcycles (12V.) set up with the same disconnect plugs. I am planning to set up my M35A2 with the same 24V. setup I have on the Willys. These Battery Tenders will keep the batteries up, while not overcharging them. It is real hard on a battery to completely discharge, so these make a lot of sense. :driver:

Stalwart

I appreciate the respOnse Greg. I should have been more clear in my thread; I will be driving the truck 2-3 times a week so I'm looking for a permanent under hood mounted tender that can charge 24 volt systems so I won't have charge the batteries separately and then reconnect them in order to drive. Are you happy with the battery tender brand?
If you want it permanently mounted, waterproof and to charge each battery seperately I recommend these, I've used them for years on various 24V military vehicles:

CT500: Industrial / Waterproof Medium Amp Single & Isolated Dual Bank Series - Chargetek, Battery Charger Manufacturer CA, Battery Chargers, Battery Monitoring, AC Input Battery Chargers, Lithium Battery Chargers, DC Battery Chargers, Custom Bat

The CT500-1 has been used in my Scorpion for over 8 years now.

NOTE: even though it charges each 12V battery separately (the best idea) you don't have to connect or disconnect anything but the wall plug in order to get in and drive away. Each charging circuit has it's own ground so each gets charged as needed, so you don't get imbalanced batteries.

If you want it permanently mounted, waterproof and to charge each battery seperately I recommend these, I've used them for years on various 24V military vehicles:

CT500: Industrial / Waterproof Medium Amp Single & Isolated Dual Bank Series - Chargetek, Battery Charger Manufacturer CA, Battery Chargers, Battery Monitoring, AC Input Battery Chargers, Lithium Battery Chargers, DC Battery Chargers, Custom Bat

The CT500-1 has been used in my Scorpion for over 8 years now.

NOTE: even though it charges each 12V battery separately (the best idea) you don't have to connect or disconnect anything but the wall plug in order to get in and drive away. Each charging circuit has it's own ground so each gets charged as needed, so you don't get imbalanced batteries.
So basically what you're saying is that if the charger has it's own dedicated ground, any 2 bank charger with its' own ground, per circuit will suffice?

steelandcanvas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks