• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery terminal meltdown

Steamynachos

Today I went out to the truck and went to start it and all i got was a quick turn then nothing no power so I checked the batteries and the positive post on one batt. has melted down the middle and there is only half a post left and the terminal wont go small enough to fit. These are the walmart energizer batts. and are only 6 months old is there any way of fixing the post? or will walmart take the batt in exchange.

Westech

CPL
well try to swap them out, but if you cant a batteries + may be able to rebuild the post. You can do it too with lots of solder and some tin foil (i have seen it done). If you do get them fixed/replaced make sure to clean the cables and the ends. Thats why they melt down, there not 100% clean and they arc when you hit the started and the arc just melts the lead posts.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good connection should have less than 0.001 Ohm resistance. A high terminal resistance will produce a voltage drop across it and generate enough heat to melt the post when 300 amps flows through it....

reuben

commen problem, I developed a couple missing posts on the dozer before i learned the importance of keeping the terminals clean and tight. 24V is welding voltage and a slight gap caused by poor connection will cause a welding arc to start. might be able to rebuild it with a good hot soldering iron and extra lead, or if the battery is gonna stay in it, could melt the terminal and clamp together for a really good connection. or pull the clamp off the wire and solder the wire onto the top of the post. might need a propane torch to get enough heat to do it, and some acid core solder. and cut the wire back to get clean copper so it'll take solder better.

randyscycle

Re: RE: Battery terminal meltdown

reuben said:
or pull the clamp off the wire and solder the wire onto the top of the post. might need a propane torch to get enough heat to do it, and some acid core solder. .
Absolutely DO NOT use a torch anywhere near a battery!!! Charging batteries generate hydrogen gas. Think Hindenburg........Also you should never use acid core solder for anything electrical.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Battery terminal meltdown

Its actually really simple... Here is how I did mine.

I set the battery on a mill, cleaned the old post off flat

Drilled a hole in the center, and tapped it for one of those side to top post converters.

Thread that in, nice and tight, and voila! you have a new post.

I think I have had one like that on my deuce for going on 2-3 years now.

cbvet

Saw this problem on a truck in 'Nam.
Official Seabee fix was using a mold that wrapped around the bad post, then filling it in with melted lead. Worked fine.
I like Mangus's idea though. You ought to be able to cut the damaged post off with a hacksaw, file or sand it nice & flat, & tap it for the top post converter as he suggested.
Eric
CBVET

mangus580

Yanno Eric, now that I think about it, I think thats how we ended up cutting it off. We just drilled it on the mill.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Replacing the post is probably the best and most simple. The cause is most likely a dead short in your system. I had this happen on a truck recovery when attempting to change the battery pack. When I touched the positive cable to the battery, instant melt down. Ran the truck home with out electrics. 250 mi. Found out the wiring harness had rubbed a hole in a wire against the frame just below the air cleaner. It had toasted both batteries and the generator.

CGarbee

I've cut off the offending post and drilled and tapped (just used a screw, never thought of using one of those adapters like Mangus used--good idea), and I've done the mold and pour in new lead route (helps having a burner and pouring pot from wiping cast iron pipe laying around in the shop), but in the last couple of years, I've gone to using batteries with threaded posts.
The nuts holding a battery cable on the threaded post seem to stay much tighter than the ones on the battery clamps, and it's less stuff to have to worry with when changing out batteries...

Good luck with repairing/exchanging yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks