• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery terminal SPARK / ARC HELP

IEHMMWV

I have been experiencing problems with my battery system upon starting. When I start the truck, the positive terminal lug will shoot a nasty spark up out of the terminal in between the terminal connector. It has happened four times and in between multiple starts. This would be the terminal that connects the two batteries together. This ruined one battery and now i installed new Optimas and the same thing just happened. I have went through and removed every cable connection in the box, on the starter and on the block to clean and tighten thinking i have a loose ground somewhere, but now I am just stumped. There will be little molten lead splatters after it happens. The generator chargers great. The batteries are maintaining 25.4 volts. I even replaced the cable that connects the two batteries, but obviously that was not it. Has anyone else experienced this?

hummer4x4guy

IE...
I had the same issue a week or so ago same area also I added some dielectic grease to all the connectors and made sure everything was nice and tight and I also put in a new pcb and the problem went away. The pcb was malfunctioning also and needed replacement. Do you have the grounding kit installed on your truck? Premade from kascar.

IEHMMWV

I have never heard of the Grounding kit before. I bet this would do the trick, but how does it hook up? Looking at the photo- four lines come into one...

https://www.real4wd.com/zedSuite/catalog/partdetail.aspx?PartNo=535-A1

I started the truck a few times this weekend and the first couple I just got a few very little splatters of lead on top of the battery. About 10 specks that seem to come from underneath the connector. I started it in the dark each time so i could watch for sparks, but i didn't see any luckily. The cables do not get hot either. It must be a ground issue.

papakb

grounding cable

The grounding cable is simple to make with some 8 gauge wire and some T&B terminal lugs. The ground harness runs from the ground bolt on the alternator housing to one of the bolts that holds the PCB in place. From there is runs over to the bonding point on the body (straight in front of the heater controls behind the dash panel) and then to the rear of the left cylinder head. From there it runs down to the starter ground lug. I used some fine strand wire for flexibility. Make sure to clamp it well so the section going down to the starter doesn't hit the exhaust manifold or pipe.

Because of the way the HMMWV body is built there's no guarantee that its electrically bonded together. This cable overcomes that problem.

Kurt

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks