• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery vent cap hiss

2mtrucks

When I shut off my 1028 and open the hood I notice a slight hissing sound that is coming from the battery vent caps. If I crack one open a slight amount of gas escapes and the hissing stops from that cell, ditto the others. Voltage is normal as measured by the truck guage, and also a quality digital voltmeter. Has anyone else ever noticed this and is it normal? BTW, batteries are milspec 6tl. Thanks

2mtrucks

If the charging system is operating normally what would cause this? And what would be the purpose of vented caps other than to alleviate some sort of pressure inside the battery. I would think that some pressure would occur due to charging or even from the heat that would be generated by normal charging conditions, particularly when ambient temperatures are relatively low, as the are today (48 degrees).

m.walker

Mine blew when the truck was shut off and I shut off the battery disconnect switch . Luckily I had closed the battery side door ( 5 ton ) and was walking away when it blew . I'm not kidding 1/3 of the top of the case blew off into pieces ! After I bought new batteries I never had a problem again . I think maybe a short or bad cell in the battery .

stampy

I had one bad cell in one battery that actually was smoking ( off gassing a lot) whenever I tried to fire up my 1009, there was no saving the battery. I think that these batteries probably sit so much that the plates sulfate and cause a higher than normal resistance to charging and thus short battery life. I even heard it was typical to use a rubber mallet to tap the batteries to help desulfate the plates (dont know if that was BS or not). I put solargizers on my 1009 and deuce now. The Deuce starts like a champ every time even when it has been sitting for months.:-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries normally don't explode because of pressure inside the battery. It's the hydrogen gas comming out of the vents that ignites and causes the explosion. If you have pressure comming out the vents whatever you do don't make a spark or be smoking around it (ask me how I know). Having a battery blow up in your face is not a fun experience. Don't know how I kept it from getting in my eyes other than I may have flinched when the cable sparked and closed my eyes a split second before the explosion.

nhdiesel

I had that happen with an Optima I had in my Jeep. One day while driving I heard what sounded like a leaking tire. Stopped the Jeep and then I could see something smoking from under the hood. Popped it (carefully) and the battery was spewing lots of fluid from the vent, enough that it got all over the bottom of the hood before I opened it. The battery still had a charge, but I scrapped it when I got home. No more Optimas for me...$180 battery that lasted a couple months. No warranty though, bought it "used" for $125 (had never been hooked up...not a mark on it, not even the terminals).

Jim

2Deuces wild

Replace battery ASAP. There is a short between the plates splitting the hydrogen in the acid causing the gas to build up, this will cause the battery to explode when the level of the acid gets low enough to allow a spark between the plates to happen. boom.:cry:

Last edited:

2mtrucks

Thanks to everyone. I will order new batteries tomorrow. This vehicle is parked in a building with several others that actually have real paint on them, and I dont have a seeing eye dog .

Pawnshop

I think AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) batteries are the answer to the problems we encounter in MVs. According to the FAQ on windsun.com (which deals with solar electricity collection and storage):

"AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:

Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.
Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.
The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.
AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.
AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.
Even with all the advantages listed above, there is still a place for the standard flooded deep cycle battery. AGM's will cost 2 to 3 times as much as flooded batteries of the same capacity. In many installations, where the batteries are set in an area where you don't have to worry about fumes or leakage, a standard or industrial deep cycle is a better economic choice. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features."

The common 6TL we get from GL in our Deuces are the "flooded" type, Optimas are the "gell" type and Hawker Armasafes are "AGM" type. As pointed out above I think the AGm is the best choice to resist the vibration generated by the Deuce drive train and off road driving, they discharge naturaly at a slower rate during extended down times, and generaly are safer and more reliable. The down side is cost, Hawkers are +/- $300 new, however O'Reilli Auto parts sells an AGM for $140. The "Super Start Extreme AGM". part number 34/78EXTAGM, 970 CA and 785 CCA, 84 month warranty. I bought two of these for my M109 and ran them for several month till I had a 6TL go down in my M35 (big suprise there) so I played musical batteries and they ended up in my M1009 where they have been for the last 4 months. The M1009 is my daily driver and they have (as expected) preformed flawlessly. I know this is not much of a test, but it's what I have:)

There are several automotive AGM sources, including Dekka but the Super Start is the easiest and cheapest to lay hands on that I know of.

2mtrucks

As a very late follow-up to this problem, it turned out that the rear battery was extremely low on water. When I got this truck I changed all the fluids but I never checked the batteries. They probably hadn't been checked in years. I filled to the proper level and the hissing stopped and has been ok for last 45 days. I don' want to diminished the potential severity of a battery explosion, especially after reading this thread, but this seems to have solved the problem. I will nevertheless keep a protected eye on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks