• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bb's in tires?

Thompsona3

I bought a pair of 37 in military tires online. Went to get them balanced because I had really bad death wobble and two of them where off 40 grams. My question is would bob's work for something this far off? Also how many bb's would I use.

Mg84648

Man, I've never heard of anyone doing that before. By 40 grams you mean needing said amount added to one side to balance it right? I'm guessing they could add weights to the inside and outside of both rims to get it in.

Special T

The only really decent product available is "Equal" its a powder that you throw in the tire. It only works if there is little to no humidity in the air. Usually you need an air dryer for the air hose unless you live in the desert. Hummer tires normally have a grease like material in them. It is water soluble and if there is any of of it in the tire it wont balance. If these are being mounted on standard styled tubeless wheels then standard balancing would work well on road. It would appear that hummer tires on hummer wheels don't balance well no matter what you do... At least in comparison to standard sized truck tires. I never balance the tires on my 4x4 because mud will spin the wheel weights and the mud and such tend to make them unbalanced at least to Corvette standards.

jasonjc

I work at a bus shop and I had to put 2lbs on a bus tire the other day. It was a recap thought.

At tire shop I use alot if its way off he takes the tire back off and rotates its 180 deg. Some times that help.

40 grams is only 1.5oz , thats not much.

Last edited:

richingalveston

Add a fender washer or two between the kingpin spring and cap, make sure your plastic caps are not in a bunch of pieces.

Death wobble is a kingpin, axle u-joint binding, or bent hub ( I had bent hubs). 40 oz. is not enough to cause bad death wobble. You would feel that at 60 mph as a slight vibration.

Gripy

I use centramatics. They are like a spacer that go between your hubs and the wheel. They are expensive but they work and you'll never need to worry about balancing the tires.

BB's would work but they are a mess when you are changing tires. Equal would work too but I wouldn't use since I'm sure you'll be airing down and back up while off-roading. This will introduce moisture and make the power clump. Also, the grease on the inside of the tires is a pain to clean out.

richingalveston

I second the centramatics, I use them also. I still balance the tires. My centramatics worked when my tires still needed 9 to 11 oz. of weight on all 4. Only a slight vibration at 65 before balance. zero vibration after. With out the centramatics and no balance I could not drive over 55.

dawico

I had decent luck putting two golf balls in the tires of my dually. When I loaded the truck down they didn't help much though. The flat spots kept the balls from settling.

infidel got me

I work at a bus shop and I had to put 2lbs on a bus tire the other day. It was a recap thought.

At tire shop I use alot if its way off he takes the tire back off and rotates its 180 deg. Some times that help.

40 grams is only 1.5oz , thats not much.
1.5 oz. of weight off will not cause death wobble even on a on a 13' tire

your problem is something else.

Special T

I had decent luck putting two golf balls in the tires of my dually. When I loaded the truck down they didn't help much though. The flat spots kept the balls from settling.
Ive pulled semi tires appart that had a path worn though the innerlinner casing a seperation before. I belive equil powder is the only real way to go for an int the tire solution, and I dont even really like it...

Ridgerunner

I bought a set of 38" Ground Hawg tires a few years back. Each tire had about a hand full of steel BB's (BB gun ammo)inside, and let me tell you, it was such a mess when I had to take the tires off the rims. There was handfulls of super fine powdered rust inside each of them, along with the BB's. What a mess. I wouldn't use them what so ever in a tire. Save them BB's for the Starlings that crap on you CUCV when it's parked outside. I heard of people using the plastic airsoft BB's with good luck though. Might look into that if you want.

M1075

I have airsoft pellets in the tires on my LSSV. Wheels are HMMWV and tires are 33". Runs pretty decent up to at least 85 or so.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427164304.615359.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks