• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bcool rad in a m1008

jcoldon

any one put a becool rad in a m1008 I just did one it took a little work I could not find a good rad to just drop in I re piped the oil cooler and trans lines made new lower rad mounts I did have to mod the rad every thing fit stock I can post pic and part info if any one wants to see :D

jcoldon

BE COOL radiator in a m1008

radtop.jpgradtop2.jpgradpass.jpgoillines2.jpgjunction.jpgIMG_5144.jpgI am new to posting stuff here I now figured out were to post stuff
I installed a be cool rad in my m1008 I could not find a direct replacement that was a good rad The copper one was rotted from sitting I just got the truck from a fire house with 25k miles on it and no bead it had an aul box on it I sold it. and went on a radiator hunt with no good luck
So I got a be cool big block rad with oil and Trans cooler I used this rad before in a suburban project using an 8.1 liter.I made new lines moded the rad made new lower vehicle mounts and it fit in the stock location this rad works real goodit was costlyso would an overheated motor and a tow
I can post pics and parts info if any wants

Last edited:

jcoldon

it cost 881 for the rad be cool model 66013 hoses upperlower tstat gaskets then another 170 for trans line coil and fittings ptfe stainless hose with -8 an fittings for the oil line

you need a specile fitting on the rad side I use the be cool adapter fitting and welded an an-8 to it since then I found that the only maker of this fitting is leroydiesel.com they have the oil line fitting

I used 2 straight and 1 45 deg 1 90 deg hose fittings 45 went on motor to rout away from exaust. threds are 3/8 pipe to jic -8 you could use - 10 also straight 3/8 to -8 jic I welded to becool adaptor
the rad mounts I made new lower one out of 1 inch square stock cut off 1 side the rubber rad mount fit in then I welded 1 end I welded them to lower mount in truck
centering them so upper mount location would line up I cut the driver side shroud and bolted the leftover piece to make a nice stock fit I made new trans lines and installed them I used the summit coiled tube AAF-ALL48327 nuts are 5/16 tube 1/2-20 threds AAF-ALL50140
as for the rad I had to cut off the inlet and outlet weld on 1 3/4 outlets I found them on ebay they had -20 threds on one side I cleaned out the hole so they fit in I used a cutting wheel and rotary file on a die grinder make sure you get all of the chips out of the rad I used a shop vac don't blast with air take your time get all burs off. I purchased the threded bong that got distorted after welding so I just welded the fittings on any way. last thing on the pass side there is a fitting half way with a water sensor I had to make this I made it the lenth of the old one I drilled and taped for the fitting its 1/8 pipe thred after tapping you need to drill out the back side slightly so the sensor fits past the lower threds I drilled a hole on the outside edge of the rd just below the upper trans line make sure you don't drill through the trans coller inside the rad if you don't weld alunium drill the holes clean out the rad get it ready with the fittings and take to a welder who tigs aulunium its not a big deal to do this

every thing I purchased at summitt racing as soon as I figure how to load pics I will get them on hear it wont let me load pics