• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BDRM-2 Importation to California and Questions

0x29A

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into to getting a BDRM-2 and I had a few questions about it.

1. Anyone here had one imported into California before? If you have any information would be appreciated.

2. How long will tires in good condition last? I'm intending on using this as a everyday vehicle.

3. Service life / Serviceability, How many miles before I should change the oil in it? and Does it need any other fluids changed regularly?

4. Registering it, Anything "special" need to be done besides add tail lights,head lights,turn signals,seat belts?,license plate

5. What's a good price for one? I've found them from 5,500 USD trashed to 30,000 USD in good condition.

Thanks for any and all help, Hope to be scaring the workers at McDonalds some time soon with it. :tank:

Triple C

"I'm intending on using this as a everyday vehicle." I certainly can't help you, I had to go look it up to see what it is but are you REALLY intending on using this as a daily driver? Don't you think the local law guys would be a little uncomfortable with an armored vehicle cruising around town, particularly in California? Looks like fun but........

0x29A

"I'm intending on using this as a everyday vehicle." I certainly can't help you, I had to go look it up to see what it is but are you REALLY intending on using this as a daily driver? Don't you think the local law guys would be a little uncomfortable with an armored vehicle cruising around town, particularly in California? Looks like fun but........
Well, I live in the middle of the forest basically, There's already a few armored vehicles out here there's a few tracked Swedish "ACP's" that are in the "town" if you can even call it that on a daily basis. As for the local police there aren't any, The nearest one's are more than a 20 mile drive away and you'll see one in town every so often.

Triple C

Hum, I guess it wasn't really any of my business anyway, thanks though, sounds like you have a clear path to some awesome fun there. If you have the funds, I would go for it. We LOVE pictures here (just sayin:-D)

0x29A

It's alright, Yeah not much go's on out where I am, When I pick up one I'll be taking pictures of it.

Mac53

I'm in the process of trying to import one at the moment and still wondering about most of your questions myself. For 5) I understand that you want to be very careful of who you are buying from, and that the dirt cheap ones aren't a good idea. Getting missing parts may be difficult. For 3), I have been told that the engines are basically Russian made copies of the Chevy 360 v8s. I was told that even though Russian spares for the engine will be next to impossible, that most of the parts can be had off the shelf at the auto store, including carb rebuilding kits, etc., if you just get them for the engine they are a copy of.

0x29A

I'm in the process of trying to import one at the moment and still wondering about most of your questions myself. For 5) I understand that you want to be very careful of who you are buying from, and that the dirt cheap ones aren't a good idea. Getting missing parts may be difficult. For 3), I have been told that the engines are basically Russian made copies of the Chevy 360 v8s. I was told that even though Russian spares for the engine will be next to impossible, that most of the parts can be had off the shelf at the auto store, including carb rebuilding kits, etc., if you just get them for the engine they are a copy of.
As for buying it did you go to the Ukraine or Russia etc to look over the vehicle or did you buy yours online?

Mac53

No, I have not traveled to see the vehicle, I have only seen it through photos. I have not actually purchased the vehicle yet, but have opted to wait until my paper work clears to make sure there will not be any problems. I'm working with an over seas broker.

Malyutkaman

The tires are relatively easy to get (although expensive). The problem with the BRDM is the same with almost all armored vehicles that owners want to make daily drivers. Bad visibility, underpowered, and difficult to manouver around town. For single person operation my Ferret is about the best, but the BRDM really should have a spotter on the right side. Also, the BRDM series has turn signals, brake lights, headlights, horn etc. Shouldn't need anything for driving on the road. Finally as far as price goes.........whatever you want to pay. I got mine in England back in 96 for $3500.00 but would have paid double that if it was complete (I'm still looking for small parts).

dmetalmiki

Well, I live in the middle of the forest basically, There's already a few armored vehicles out here there's a few tracked Swedish "ACP's" that are in the "town" if you can even call it that on a daily basis. As for the local police there aren't any, The nearest one's are more than a 20 mile drive away and you'll see one in town every so often.
Hmm.. Sounds like you have found an 'Ideal spot'..From what I read here..A Rarity!.
You might hook up with these guys..

My OT 65 G diesel engined G FUG.

I have OT 65 g fug, diesel ENGINE SO AVOIDS 1 (one!) mpg.
also has TWIN PROPELLERS.
Mine has the all the original intercoms and radios.
I much prefer the diesel engine'd version as it it achieves 1000 MPG!..well not really, it's just that is runs on the 'free' contam we get over here.
And would achieve about 10 MPG on pump diesel.

Last edited:

kcimb

Hmm.. Sounds like you have found an 'Ideal spot'..From what I read here..A Rarity!.
You might hook up with these guys..

My OT 65 G diesel engined G FUG.

I have OT 65 g fug, diesel ENGINE SO AVOIDS 1 (one!) mpg.
also has TWIN PROPELLERS.
Mine has the all the original intercoms and radios.
I much prefer the diesel engine'd version as it it achieves 1000 MPG!..well not really, it's just that is runs on the 'free' contam we get over here.
And would achieve about 10 MPG on pump diesel.
Nice FUG! Duncan Nicholson offered me one a while ago, I should have gotten it. I've met the 878 guys, they're decent chaps. They are about an hour or so down the road from me.

Yours wasn't the one for sale was it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks