• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bead Breaker

wpzimmer

Some years ago I was in an Army Motor Pool and saw an hydraulic bead breaker being used on some Deuce wheels. Worked quite well. It was a four legged spider like thing that fastened to the wheel and used what looked like a hydraulic jack to force the feet of the thing under the bead lock ring and downwards to push the tire off the rim. Worked pretty well. I have seen an illustration of these things in the manuals but the image quality was lousy so it was unclear how exactly the things were made or used. I would like to find or fabricate one but need a better picture. Anyone ever seen one of these or used one. I am getting too old for the slide hammer thing and the truck places around here seem to think I am made of money.

mangus580

I Have used one... they work great. I have a buddy who made a mechanical version of the same thing. It uses threaded rod instead of the hydraulics. He said it works even better!!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
They are a must. I tried like heck last week for 45 minutes trying to break a bead with a sledgehammer and even driving my M1009 on the tire and could not pop the bead. I was trying it for "fun" to see if I could break down a wheel and quickly gave up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a hydraulic one when I helped JDToumanian do 13 tires...I was POOPED!

Rattlehead

I have a mechanical one as well. Better than the duckbill sledge, but still a PITA. The problems I have are that the bead breaker seems to push the tire down a bit, then the feet start slipping on the tire and it won't go any farther. Then you have to back off the tool, move to a different spot on the tire, and do it again. Repeat. Repeat....repeat......repeat..........Flip the tire over and repeat...repeat....repeat....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bead Breaker

CCATLETT1984 said:
This is the reason i have hmmwv rims :D

20minutes to change a tire, no issues at all. 8)
How did you ever get them to fit? They aren't even close on my deuces.