• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bead Lock/Two-Piece Rim Nuts - Are they that hard to get off?

HDN

I've been having a tough time getting the nuts loose and off one of the rims on my M35A3. I don't think the rim was ever apart, and the nuts were possibly overtightened at the factory.

I've been using a borrowed torque multiplier to get them loose, but even halfway up the stud, my torque meter says they still need at least 400 ft-lbs to spin off. Perhaps part of it was me not properly cleaning the threads (going to do better next time!), but even after three days straight of WD-40 applications they are still really hard to turn. I just hope I don't bust a stud!

Is this a normal thing with these two-piece bolt-together rims?

sue

I've been having a tough time getting the nuts loose and off one of the rims on my M35A3. I don't think the rim was ever apart, and the nuts were possibly overtightened at the factory.

I've been using a borrowed torque multiplier to get them loose, but even halfway up the stud, my torque meter says they still need at least 400 ft-lbs to spin off. Perhaps part of it was me not properly cleaning the threads (going to do better next time!), but even after three days straight of WD-40 applications they are still really hard to turn. I just hope I don't bust a stud!

Is this a normal thing with these two-piece bolt-together rims?
Used a lot of penetrating oil a very good “3/4 impact wrench, high
volume 175 psi compressor and sometimes a torch. Yes there a bear.
If you have a dotco type grinder every time I mess with A-3 wheels
I hit the threads up about a “1/2 from the nuts on the studs.
Because if a nut loosens that much you have other problems.

Reactions: HDN

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kroil is your friend, not WD 40
Look it up, but if something I torqued down at 450 then it needs 600 to get it off.
Wire brush all the threads
Perhaps get longer pipe.

I used 10 feet of heavy wall pipe to get them off as the idiots drove them on and
stretched the threads. Stretched threads going ON means the pitch is now WRONG
to get them off. Oh, they will never get loose but are destroyed.

Examine your stud and take a very close look at your nuts.
TM says replace that stuff.
Do NOT put lug nuts back on with that stuff "it will never seize". That is not the problem.
Do the job the correct way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks