• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beadlocks?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beadlocks are designed for offroad use. When die-hard offroaders want more traction, over loose dirt or sand, they air down the tires. Spreads the tread out more, and the tires "grab" more of the surface. Problem is, the more you air down the tires, the more the tires don't wanna stay seated on the rim. Hence, someone came up with the idea of beadlocks. The bead is "locked" by bolting the tire bead between two pieces of metal, so it can't slip, instead of the air pressure just holding against the sidewall by friction as in a normal tire/wheel combo. So, you can air down the tire all the way down to a couple psi and you have no problem with the tire staying on the wheel.

rmgill

Beadlocks can also be a kind of insert that's added inside the tire that goes inside of the beads and when you use a divided disk type rim, the beads are clamped.

Some also work as run flat inserts.

sermis

I think the rim you posted up is the same as in my pic. Some tires have them and some don't. Only way to know is to disassemble. Unless you are airing down you really dont need a bead lock insert.

M1075

Re: Beadlocks

cbvet said:
Okay, so would the wheels on my M813A1 have beadlocks?
How low could I safely run the 1400R20 Michelins for maximum traction on snow/ice?
Eric
CBVET
Yes, you should have beadlocks in those rims. The -10 for the M939 series indicates 25 psi for mud, sand and snow; and 12 psi for emergency.

I run 0 psi on my jeep for maximum traction off road. See my "wheel chock" in front of the jeep? That is what is left of a tire after running it at 0 psi on a deuce to get home. There is no tire left, but the beadlock is still in place!

Beadlocks are awesome.

Attachments

tsmall07

Most after market bead locks that people get for 4 wheeling only lock the bead on the outside of the rim. This is where the greatest risk is to roll the tire off the bead. The insert ones listed above lock both beads of the tire.

derby

I was told that beadlocks were not street legal.Was I mis informed? Also ,I have some of the 20" beadlock inserts if anyone want's them.

tsmall07

It depends on where you live. Its a cloudy subject around here. Some friends have gotten tickets for them, but all have been thrown out. If you have internal bead locks there is no way for anyone to know.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any 2-piece rim I have owned has had a DOT: Military Use stamp on it anyways, which means they are technically not DOT certified for civilian use. The whole truck was sold to a civilian though and it doesn't have 5 MPH bumpers or a padded dash or air-bags or whatever, so it's all a little gray.

cbvet

Thanks very much guys. The picture from Sermis was what I needed to understand what they are.
I'm kinda hoping for a couple feet of snow so I can let some air out & play.
Eric
CBVET

dma251

Better verify they are actually in there before you let too much air out! When I put my 5-ton combat wheels together I gave up the struggle to get those inflexible beasts inside the tires and just left them out. Besides - they work GREAT for setting a wheel on when mounting up the tires!

My experience with actually off-roading these trucks is that they have such poor lateral axle articulation that they end up poping the torque-rod bushing out long before you will get the tire angled enough to pop the bead and any reasonable air pressure. They flex great up and down, but not so well at all with side-to-side.

I would bet that the majority of trucks out there on combat wheels don't have the beadlock inserts in them.

cbvet

So just in case I don't have the beadlocks, how low can I safely go?
I'm not talking about rock climbing, just running through fields & down country roads.
Eric
CBVET

dma251

It really depends on the speed you are travelling at. I've seen enough pics of these tires with the sidewalls disintegrated to not run these too low too fast. I'd say you should be running them with at least 50 lbs. UNLESS you need to go lower. Thatway when you do get on the highway you're not stuck with 6 tires that have 25 lbs. in them, and then they come apart.

The problem is heat. The sidewalls have to flex so fast at lower airpressures that friction causes them to get hot and weaken until they come apart.

Juwst run them at 50-60 until you NEED to go lower, then drop them down and take it slow.

That's my advice.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, keep in mind the age of your tires. There haven't been any new 14R20 XL's in a good while. I think my tires on the 923A2 ranged in age from 8-10 years old. There are some tires even older than that coming out on surplus trucks. What looks like a little weather checking on an fully inflated tire can turn into a sidewall disintegrating in a low pressure flexing tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks