• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bearing issues

countryboy

I have a m1008 and we believe it to be the rear main bearing out i have a 350 gas that runs and dont know what would be easiest would like to keep it a diesel and want to know what would be cheapest and easiest to do

91W350

Frequently you can find 6.2 engines on Ebay for less than 1000 dollars. Most will be Humvee exchanges.

If your engine failed because of continuous high rpm operation and that is the way you use your truck, I would do the 350 swap. They can stand the rpm a lot better than a 6.2 can, anything over about 55 is screaming for a 6.2, 50 is better.

You can take your block and have it magnifluxed for cracks in the main bearing webbing. Normally when the bearings fail, it is actually the block that failed, allowing the bearing to spin. If it just needs a crank clean up and a set of bearings, that would be cheapest. Did the engine run good before it started hammering? Glen

countryboy

yes it was running pretty good had couple small oil leaks is all but was running fine it is a 1985 m1008 the 350 is in a 79 chevy half ton and i am wondering what it would cost to change over the parts needed to put the 350 into the M1008 still in high school so dont have much money so am looking for cheapest way to get it going again

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

The cheapest is to drop the oil pan and see how things really are- no cost yet.

If you really want to save money and time you should go and get a 1990's small car- way better mileage and reliability. You could probably buy the car for the price of a used engine.

4bogginchevys

At your age I would have killed the 6.2 in a week, if you have a heavy foot you may want to do the engine swap in a weekend and fix the 6.2 on a stand....it can always be re-installed. It is much easier to work on the bottom end when it's out of the truck aswell. Good luck2cents

countryboy

i think me and some friends are gonna swap in the 350 but are wondering what needs to be done with the wiring and what all we will need to get it to bolt up