• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beauregard Recovery

DeuceIsLoose

Recovered Deuce No 4 last week. Thanks again to everyone on the site with the brake bleeding tips and advice--that pressure bleeder is magic. The ANG guys up there were great.

She has newer hoses, electric wipers, and really good tires.

She made it home fine. The brakes had definitely gotten softer from 4 days earlier when I bled them. I was afraid they weren't going to work when I first got in. But no problems. They have gotten even softer over the last couple days here. I'm planning on bleeding them again--if anyone has any advice on why they keep getting softer, I'm all ears.

Also, the steering isn't smooth and sticks as you are coming out of a turn versus straightening out by itself. It also gets a shimmy around 45 mph in the steering and then comes and goes at cruising speed. I've greased everything and there's plenty of lube in the steering box but that hasn't fixed it. Any advice?

Attached are some pics.

Donnie

P.S. bring lots of quarters for the air compressor at the Chevron right outside the base. All my tires only had about 15psi. It took $7.00 in quarters (and 45 mins) to get them filled up.

Attachments

dm22630

Looks good!

2 things....

#1 - You must have a leak somewhere.....probably one of the rubber brake lines or a wheel cylinder.

#2 - If you feel vibrations at higher speeds, one or more of your tires are low/flat. You can NOT tell if they are flat unless you put a pressure gauge on them or run over a rock/curb & look. Air them up to 50lbs all the way around & see if you have the same problem then.

dm22630

Also....

You do know that you can air up your tires with the air supply on the rear of the duece right?

Pull the throttle out to 1500rpms, hook up an airhose w/gladhand adapter to the emergency air & turn the valve on (behind the gladhand). It is FREE! No quarters required! ;)

DeuceIsLoose

Thanks DM for the advice.

All tires are aired up--so it's not that. The vibrations have something to do with the steering. They come and go and usually it's when I'm giving the wheel slight pressure to the left--like against the crown on the right lane of the highway. They aren't consistent or in any pattern.

I know about the gladhands--I just didn't have my air hose with me. I probably would have covered the cost of a Wal-Mart air hose with all those quarters.

Thanks again.

Donnie

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Donnie, I think I saw your truck sitting outside the fence when I was there a couple of weeks ago. It was really nice looking.

Congrats,
Doug

DeuceIsLoose

Hey Smooth,

There aren't any for sale right now on GL, but I'd expect more. When I was up there, it looked like they had a pretty good inventory that would have to go sooner or later.

Donnie

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doug,

Thanks--I've gotten two from Beauregard and been really lucky both times.

Have you picked up any from there?

Donnie

Nope, always low bidder so far. There seem to be a lot of trucks in the lot with no lot numbers assigned yet, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky someday if they don't ship them to Redstone.