• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Became a Steel Soldier today - The M915A1 Arrived!

lankyevilme

Thanks a lot to James (M1075) at OKC auction service for all of his help getting the M915A1 I bought from him shipped to me. I'm going to use this truck to haul corn and farm supplies. The truck is in excellent condition! I couldn't believe it when I looked under the hood, it looks like it has hardly been used at all. I've never driven a semi tractor before, and on the way home from the loading dock I looked down at the speedometer expecting it to say 35 or 40, and I was running 55. It's quiet in the cab, and accelerates really well.

I was surprised that the front of the tractor has the diamond shape in the grill that all the 915s have, but it doesn't say CCC in the diamond. Does anyone know why?

I'll try to post some pictures. Now i need to spend the next couple days cleaning it up so I can take the CDL test. I've passed the written part already. I'm thinking of taking the square tubing off the front and painting it black. I'll need to figure out how to get all of the black marker writing off of the truck, I'm hoping I won't have to repaint it since I like the sand color.

We went past our grain elevator on the way home, and decided to pull in and weigh the tractor. I was really pleased to see it only weighed 18,500 pounds, even with a half tank of diesel. I was afraid it was going to be heavier after reading the manual, but that's not much different than any other over the road semi, and I can haul a lot of corn before going over 80,000 pounds. Everyone at the grain elevator thought it was awesome, and several of the neighborhood farmers "stopped in to chat" when they saw it in the yard.

I recommend OKC auction service if you ever need to use them. James knew exactly what he was doing and set everything up for me really nicely.
Lanky

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Those trucks were rebuilt by the Texas Maintenance Sustainment base near Ft Worth very recently. The "CCC" emblem is screwed to the grill, yours got lost somewhere. Try some laquer thinner (not paint thinner) to cut the crayon marks. Rub really hard with a soaked shop rag. Your truck will be soldiering on long after the current crop of 18 wheelers are junked. It's already served 26 years!

AMGeneral

Congratulations and welcome to Steel Soldiers!!,I just got my first M915A1 several weeks ago myself,they're really simple and well thought out trucks and definetly tougher than the normal everyday OTR truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

dozer1

Thats a super nice lookin truck you got there. It makes alot of sence for a grain farmer to get into this type of MV. I may have to follow suit one day when my old Volvo peters out. You got me hoping i throw a rod in it this summer..lol,,welcome to the site.

dozer1

By the way what are you going to pull for a hopper? Please keep me informed as to how the M915A1 works out for a grain hauler and what kind of mileage you average too. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out reb87's posts on grain hauling with the 915 and 915A1's. His only complaint was breakout torque after sitting in a field overnight grossed to 80K. Had to use reverse, which is lower ratio. Uphills with 80K is effortless . . . oh heck just look up his post.

jwaller

so you bought and drive a 915 but have never driven a tractor?

please get legal and get some training on your new machine. we dont need any bad press.

dk8019

Jwaller, I would imagine that it will be registered for farm use, and as such is likely legal for him to use it with training or not. In Ohio if I own over 10 acres, and declare it for farm use, I can pretty much operate anything on the road ways regardless of weight.

lankyevilme

Yeah, I'm going to put farm plates on the truck, but I'm still going to get the class A license. I only drove about 3 miles from the dock on the country road back to my farm site. Putting a farm plate on the truck will save a lot of license fees, insurance is about 1/10th of commercial, and I won't have to do the medical exams and random drug testing that CDL drivers do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks