• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed attachment

greenmonster

Can anyone take some pic's of how their bed is attached. I want to build a flat bed for my M931a2 and I do not know how the bed is supposed to attach. I am thinking there is going to be some flex joints of some sort so the frame can flex a bit off road but I don't know for sure. Any help would be great.

greenmonster

Put a king pin on the bottom if the bed and add a couple if hooks at the front so you can have both
I thought about that, I have opted to just build a stake side flat bed. The fifthwheel hitch is useless on my truck because the super singles are way to big so I am putting plate on my deuce and putting bed on my five ton. So I need to figure out the bed attaching points I was thinking to rubber mounts in front and a single pivot in the back would let the frame flex enough.

greenmonster

Ok so I downloaded all the Tm's and have been looking through them. I cannot find a pic of the bed attachment I found pulling the fifth wheel plate but not the bed? It would be really nice if someone had a pick of how the factory bed mounted on truck. Thanks

Triple C

Bed attachment on 86 925

001_001.jpg When I picked up my 925 it had two bolts holding the bed on! They were about 6 inches long with coil springs. In this picture you can see the attachement tabs. I have put three inch bolts in them (6 total) and no springs. It may have affected the flexability of the bed to frame but I don't plan on doing any off road so I am not too concerned about it. As you can see, there is a wooden buffer between the bed and frame too. Hope that helps.

quickfarms

For an on road truck the bed is attached to the frame with u bolts and there is a wood buffer strip between the bed and frame. Typically there is also some heavy angle bolted to the frame that slides along the side if the bed.

On an off road truck coil springs and long bolts are used forward of the trunion in place of the u bolts. The frame rear of the trunion does not flex enough to worry about.

Triple C

Well, I am not sure they had it on properly since they only had two of the six on there, but they had a long bolt with a washer on the head, followed by a spring about six inches long, then another washer. All that was below the bottom tab. The bolt then came up through the bottom tab through, the top tab and was secured with a washer and a nut. That would allow for about four or five inches of travel, I guess, if all things were aligned. I have replaced them with shorter bolts and locked them down tight but I may rethink that, at least for the front set. As we read earlier, it seems that is where the flex is. Let me know if you want any other pics of that frame or the tabs. Good luck.