• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed removal and serial numbers

Warren Lovell

I just got my M35A2 with 14,000 miles ( so it says).

Does anyone have a good procedure for removing the bed?

And does anyone know how to determine the year of your M35A2 if some dweeb removed the dataplate?

Thanks guys!

Loose Deuce

I'm still a newbe so this is what I herd from past posts, Its possible to check the dates on the differentials just under the small data plate. That may give you a idea of the year the truck was manf. The dates will be stamped on steel, probably covered up with paint. Thats about all I know about it. Example mine is titled 1966 and all three differentials are dated in 1969. (4-69), (12-69), (8-69) unless they changed all three differentials out? :shocked:

If there is a date somewhere on the frame, I would like to know also. [:)]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warren, you need to add your location in the signature. This is one of the requirements for posting and was included with your welcome email. As far as dating your truck, you can usually find manufacturing dates on axles, wheels, diffs, trans, transfer case and so on. If a bunch of them seem to run around the same time, that probably an indication of the year of the truck. The serial number is stamped on the left frame rail to the rear of the steering box. It will have 4 numbers a dash or space then 5 numbers. Can't figure a date from it but the first 4 almost always indicate the original configuration of the truck. Removing the bed is a piece of cake. 4 bolts in the rear of the bed and you can drop the trailer wiring plug. then there are 5 bolts per side (2 with springs) that need to be removed and the bed can be lifted off. It might be easier to remove the pioneer tool rack on the left front of the bed as it hangs under the cab just a but but its not totally necessary.

Loose Deuce

Would that be on the top of the frame rail, outside , inside or bottom of the frame rail? Just incase there is a heavy coating of paint, it will be easier to find. [:)]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Numbers are on the outside of the frame rail. They are usually lower on the side and several inches behind the steering box pitman shaft.
HTH