• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed removal options

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a big set of industrial rollers.....I jacked up the bed and put them between the frame and bed and then used a tractor to roll it off onto some supports.

An air wrench makes quick work of those spring loaded bolts.

It is best to remove the pioneer rack and mudflaps prior to removing the bed.

skinnedknuckles

I used a John Deere 644G loader and a Case skid-loader.Picked it straight up, drove the truck out from under and set the box down on a 4 wheel dolly. With-out loaders I would have used a engine hoist on the rear and made a steel "saw horse" for the front. Pick each side of the front up separately with the engine hoist and blocked it up, slide an "I" beam in , built a couple of stands that would clear the tires , lift the rear with hoist and drive the truck out from under and carefully set the box down onto some blocks.
Paul in Janesville, Wis

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we've done it several ways.
The preferred method is the HIAB 1165 crane mounted on my friends Mack powered Ford. It moves it around to where you want it the easiest. It has a 40' reach.
The overhead crane in the shop works well also.
In a pinch we have done it with the excavator.
My tractor will remove a deuce bed also.

Attachments

oddshot

I used a junk yard.

I took out all the bolts that were holding if on ... put back in enough to keep it safe ...

drive the rig over to the scrap yard ... took of the tail lights ... and let them pull it off with there crane.

I put the tail lights back on, collected my money and away I went.

Couldn't be easier!

If you ever do it like I did ... make sure you loosen ALL the bolts first. Some of them were REAL tough ... trying to pull them out at the scrap yard would have been a major PITA for all concerned.

oddshot

A

A/C Cages

I removed my 109 box with a forklift once, and a flatbed wrecker the next time, But the last time I used the overhead beam crane in bay #4.

Billy Bobbed

Are you going to bob a deuce or are you scraping one to sell.Becauce when you take that bed off the truck you got to have some were to put it.And one day you are going to have to get rid of it,and you got to have something big enough to haul it away.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a big set of industrial rollers.....I jacked up the bed and put them between the frame and bed and then used a tractor to roll it off onto some supports.
I've got several big forklifts and cranes to lift beds (or the whole truck for that matter) but I like Wreckerman's idea if you don't have any heavy equipment. You could use something as simple as some pieces of pipe.

55 gallon drums (steel) make good supports.