• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed storage box

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been replacing the troop seat wood with some pressure treated 1x4s. I’m working on the front header and this box is in my way. . I’m never really paid it much attention but is the storage box something that all the deuces came with assuming they had a cargo bed? It’s not water tight and it’s mostly in the way. There’s a space between it and the front of the bed that looks like you could almost put a spare tire there. I’m thinking about removing it.

Attachments

ToddJK

I’ve been replacing the troop seat wood with some pressure treated 1x4s. I’m working on the front header and this box is in my way. . I’m never really paid it much attention but is the storage box something that all the deuces came with assuming they had a cargo bed? It’s not water tight and it’s mostly in the way. There’s a space between it and the front of the bed that looks like you could almost put a spare tire there. I’m thinking about removing it.
No, I've never seen any deuces have a tool or storage box in the cargo bed. Doesn't mean it wasn't added while in service, but it's definitely an addition, not a stock or normal thing. I've seen others remove the troop seats or instead of having troop seats, they built the sides up as if it has troop seats and then used storage boxes or tool boxes as seats and if I remember right, they bolted them in place.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I've never seen any deuces have a tool or storage box in the cargo bed. Doesn't mean it wasn't added while in service, but it's definitely an addition, not a stock or normal thing. I've seen others remove the troop seats or instead of having troop seats, they built the sides up as if it has troop seats and then used storage boxes or tool boxes as seats and if I remember right, they bolted them in place.
Thanks. I didn’t think I had seen one before but figured I’d ask. I removed some accessories from a classic vehicle one time. All but gave them away only to realize later they were extremely rare and desirable.
I unbolted it and took it out. I was more worried about the bed rusting where it held debris. If it was weathertight it would be a different story. I do like the idea of the storage seats.

ToddJK

Thanks. I didn’t think I had seen one before but figured I’d ask. I removed some accessories from a classic vehicle one time. All but gave them away only to realize later they were extremely rare and desirable.
I unbolted it and took it out. I was more worried about the bed rusting where it held debris. If it was weathertight it would be a different story. I do like the idea of the storage seats.
Don't blame yeah, better to know than not to know. I'd keep it either way just in case. Could always put some spacers under it so water can't sit there, be able to get debris out with a broom or something similar to it.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree with removing the box. Who would want something leaky on a Deuce? 😂 I found these Sterelite brand storage totes that fit pretty nicely under the troop seats and between the braces.
20201114_163454.jpg
I used some bungee cords to stop them from sliding. They are working well so far. I've had them for about a year.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree with removing the box. Who would want something leaky on a Deuce? 😂 I found these Sterelite brand storage totes that fit pretty nicely under the troop seats and between the braces.
View attachment 870594
I used some bungee cords to stop them from sliding. They are working well so far. I've had them for about a year.
I don’t need anything else leaky! I park it on a rock pad and I can still see where it sits once I move it. Gasser gaskets and seals are not easy to come by and I figure is extra rust proofing!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don’t need anything else leaky! I park it on a rock pad and I can still see where it sits once I move it. Gasser gaskets and seals are not easy to come by and I figure is extra rust proofing!
NAPA and other places still sell sheets of gasket material. It takes a little effort, but a razor blade and some time will turn that roll of material into usable gaskets. Several of the guys have even used TM book covers as gasket material when there was nothing else.

That storage box might be useful if you can keep the water out. Assuming that you have something worth carrying in a locked box on your truck... You might have to get creative to fix it - but that isn't especially weird in this hobby :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks