• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Been on here a few years thought I'd finally introduce myself

zone zero

I just picked up an M1009 with 60k on the ticker,
im not planing a restoration just a camping daily driver with some fresh OD paint and a lift ,winch and some interior mods it will probably end up on 35s but for now here she is we call her lipstick it was an X- Massachusetts forestry Union truck image.jpgimage.jpg
i haven't done much changed the tires and rims to a set of 285/75r16s bfg at2s
new batteries, heater core, rockers and fixed a bunch of wiring. It needs a tail gate bad and some odds and ends. from the tag under the hood it looks like the truck was originally in Virginia then again that could just be the hood.
Hope it's cool to post in this section. Have a good weekend guys.

zone zero

Thanks, I'm shocked how good on fuel this truck is I can easily pull mid 20s all day long although none of the Gage's work at all haha the speedo just wines and throws the needle all over the place. So I have to get to the bottom of that soon.

Can any one recomend a place to get a tailgate with hardware.
and what lift do you guys recomend for 35s I don't need something super flexy just a decent ride thinking around 3-4 inches max.

also need to work out a tire carrier in the spring.

zone zero

I'll take pics as I go and post here it will be slow it's still pretty cold in New England so paint is not going to happen unless I get a few warm days.

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

Glad you've emerged from the 'shadows'!
The truck looks good in red, but she'd be awesome in MV green! :jumpin:

zone zero

Can you recomend a cheaper painting alternative I was planing on just sanding cleaning and rattle can most paint jobs are all in the prep anyway and this is no show car.

zone zero

Well I replaced the rockers wired up a plate light and went for a sticker in NH, the guy tells me he can't because the truck is city"fire" red and has state insignia on the side of it and being that it's no longer a state truck it's a 500 DOT fine just driving it on the road he told me to have it painted. It was a cluster. So I try to dig to the bottom of this with no luck local PD never heard of such and issue. I go back and forth with this garage to no end I come home hit the truck with a few cans of rattle can black to make the SOB happy go back he still won't pass it because it's listed on the registration as a D-10 and he does not have that in the computer.
So off to find another inspection place tomorrow. So the M1009 has an identity crisis right now she's half red half black and the green paints on order should be all green by next weekend.

Another Ahab

Well I replaced the rockers wired up a plate light and went for a sticker in NH, the guy tells me he can't because the truck is city"fire" red and has state insignia on the side of it and being that it's no longer a state truck it's a 500 DOT fine just driving it on the road he told me to have it painted. It was a cluster.
I don't know why, but nothing worth doing ever seems to be easy.

Hang tough, do what you got to do, and it'll likely all work out.

zone zero

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Some progress today hit the hole thing with 2 coats of black truck bed liner, then 3-4 coats of rustolum OD green let it bake in the sun for the afternoon. This was a pretty easy rattle can job, the light coats of Bed liner helped cover any dings and some of the body work I had to do. I think it came out nice .

zone zero

I have a few spots to touch up nothing major. It's that old saying with paint and body it's all in the prep. The nice thing about these trucks is that show quality is not the goal

i have a question for you as a group do you think I should paint the rims green to match?

zone zero

Where in NH are you? I'm in Pelham during the week, but I play with my toys up in Sanford, ME during the weekend.
Im right down the street in new market. I'd love to meet up some time. I was big into 4wheeling and jeeps for along time ran with a club out of hamstead for years. But always loved the military trucks and overland vehicals

i know stanford a bit, I head up the golden road in the fall for a 3 day trip this will be the first year with a cucv. I've been after 2 90 tone locomotives and a b-52 crash site for awhile now, this year I'd like a 3-4 vehical group to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks