• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beer keg fuel tank for the 003?

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just aquired a cylindrical 15.5-gal beer keg and am considering trying to modify, mount and use it for for aux fuel on the M116a2. I searched using permutations of beer, keg, fuel, and tank...no joy. There HAS to be someone out there who has adapted a keg to fuel tank use with a genset. I seek suggestions, schematics, warnings, etc.

Gunzy

In the '60s and '70s I used to see them as fuel tanks on dune buggies. Never seen one on a genset before. Should work fine I'd say, just weld on a supply fitting and a fill port.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, make sure you keep it straight as to which one contains beer and which one is fuel.... even more important when you're drinking PBR or Natural Lite as they taste like gas.

Chrispyny

Funny, I posted on my local Clist a few weeks ago looking for American 15.5 gallon kegs to do just this with them. Seems they aren't to commonly had. Most people want their deposits back and return them. I figured I could modify 2 of them which would give me 31 gallons of stand by next to my generator. I'm still on the prowl.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re a keg source, try to find someone with rental properties, especially in a college/university town. The fellow I got mine from said he had as many as 5-6 at one time. It seems that some students just bolt at the end of school and leave all sorts of stuff behind that they have not been able to garage sell or give away.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, I posted on my local Clist a few weeks ago looking for American 15.5 gallon kegs to do just this with them. Seems they aren't to commonly had. Most people want their deposits back and return them. I figured I could modify 2 of them which would give me 31 gallons of stand by next to my generator. I'm still on the prowl.
That's because they are property of the brewing company . They are considered rental property here in michigan , as the deposits doesn't cover the cost to replace. It is also illegal for scrapyards to buy them here .

steelypip

I got a good deal on some heavy food grade plastic barrels that originally held pickled olives on their journey from Spain to the US. I plan on burying one in a hole beside the gen set (for fire management, visibility and temperature control) and using that as the extended storage fuel tank. Capacity is about 40 US Gallons, and, being plastic, they're inert to most everything.

A beer keg is a stout vehicle fuel tank, but probably not ideal for stationary fuel storage. I'd be concerned about the visual interest value and corrosion management.

helllo and how is everyone. i was reading this post and thought I wouls comment on what I did. I wanted a fuel capacity large enough that i would only have to fill it once a day. Yes there is a float switch on the machine, i understand that. However, Our generator at work, the small daytank floatswitch failed and kept running and spilled fuel on the ground so i did not want to depend on that.
I decided to have a new oversize fuel tank fabricated by a tank builder here in New Jersey, about an hours ride from me. I had a 21 gallon tank fabbed by a company called Patriot Marine Fabrication. Think they are in either Forked River or Toms River NJ. I had to remove the batteries from the skid, but that was no big deal and made the new battery cables myself out of 1/0 welding cabel. The generator is also inside a shed permanetly set up so I can keep the machine out of the weather and muffle the noise.
You might want to consider this if you plan to have a new tank made. Just putting it out there, have a safe and happy weekend. metalworker393

Chrispyny

helllo and how is everyone. i was reading this post and thought I wouls comment on what I did. I wanted a fuel capacity large enough that i would only have to fill it once a day. Yes there is a float switch on the machine, i understand that. However, Our generator at work, the small daytank floatswitch failed and kept running and spilled fuel on the ground so i did not want to depend on that.
I decided to have a new oversize fuel tank fabricated by a tank builder here in New Jersey, about an hours ride from me. I had a 21 gallon tank fabbed by a company called Patriot Marine Fabrication. Think they are in either Forked River or Toms River NJ. I had to remove the batteries from the skid, but that was no big deal and made the new battery cables myself out of 1/0 welding cabel. The generator is also inside a shed permanetly set up so I can keep the machine out of the weather and muffle the noise.
You might want to consider this if you plan to have a new tank made. Just putting it out there, have a safe and happy weekend. metalworker393
Awe man, pics of both shed and tank please ?

steelypip

One thing I'd considered was putting the MEP-003A tank on an MEP-002A. It would offer extended runtime, but would have the disadvantage of much lower fuel turnover during the year, which would make fuel preservation a bigger problem.

Happyland1410

Here are pictures of the keg used as a fuel tank for the 2A042 gas engine that runs the pump on our M35A3 Fire Truck. The keg was originally used for the same purpose on our older M35A2 tanker. It simply has a 1 1/2" pipe nipple and cap welded in for the fill and a 1/2" coupling welded at the bottom for the feed connection.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks