• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Before/After M37/M101A1

MDSA

Finally got the sides on the M37 finished. Sides rails were easy as I was given the metal posts. I had to fabricate the front metal using old troop seat metal off a Deuce. Not to spec, but it works. Put 3 coats of paint on the wood.

The M101A1 is a 1953 model with the old whale tail parking brakes. I believe it has the original wood. Put 3 coats of paint on the wood, but wish I had tinted the first coat green in case of a scratch so the prime coat wouldn't show. Also put 3 coats on the bed as this is the trailer we will use for hauling. Heavy coat of Rustoleum, then 2 green.

Now to replace passenger glass, add gerry can holder, and a few other odds and ends.

Attachments

MDSA

My sons and I disagree about which setup will look best in a parade.

Since I don't have the canvas for the M37 ($$$), my sons think the M101 should match the M37 - no cargo cover. I see what they mean, but I am curious what you guys think.

Attachments

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Brian

Great looking truck and trailer !!! looks good either way (sorry stephen) . Be coming by your way tomorrow on the way to Haspin. Hope the hot bearing is fixed. Hope to see you soon.

Carter

Truck and trailer match without the canvas which is how I would have it set-up for the parade. Good job on truck and trailer, nice work. :grin:

Danger Ranger

Since I don't have a truck or trailer (NOT TO MENTION SOME THAT NICE) i like all three.

But my favorite is the middle pic, (bows but no cover). They look great!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the middle one the best with the bows and rails on the trailer. My only suggestion would be to remove (and sell) the hard top and buy the soft top for the M37. It makes it look 100% better and you always have the option to fold everything down and use it as a convertible.

Nice truck! And trailer, of course....

JB

All look good but one more option is available. No canvas and the bows stowed in the forward storage racks of the trailer. Personally i like the canvas on regardless of condition of the truck. I aspire to have that combination some day.[thumbzup]

majorhitt

Great looking Truck and trailer combo. Mon Wed Fri Trailer with canvas, Tue Thur Sat Trailer with bows, Sunday says it, let the sun shine in no bows or canvas.

CGarbee

Run it in a parade with the canvas on or off depending on how it was the day before... Why work any harder than you have to??

Seriously, I've been known to run with the canvas off and the bows either in place or racked up front in order to allow vets to ride in it during the parade (gives them something to hang onto...).

I also like Mike's idea of your selling off that M37's hard top and replacing it with canvas since I would love to put a hard top on my XM708... :)

davidkroberts

nicely done,

Im a big fan of a soft top but it looks great like it is. The trailer ( i think) looks better without the cover. I usually pull the front pins and use mine like a dump trailer so im not a purest anyway

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking set-up. I'm just the opposite than you. My truck came with a brand new canvas top for the bed and no trailer canvas. I even have the front and rear end canvas. Took them off to be able to see better and never used again. I do like the real canvas and not the newer vinyl tops. It's great to have so many options.

Wolf.Dose

HM, I think the answer is not as easy as "Looking good", "Nice truck", "Nice combination".
Fact is: The canvas you own is the "plastic" one, so the canvas is from a time when the M37 was out of service for at least 15 years. That does to my opinion not fit together, regardless the situation that in the Army/MC the truck pulled trailers with and without canvas in place. Also with bows on the trailer is autentic.
So, what to do: For a "normal" parade I would use the combo like parking at home. For a vintage military vehicle parade I would remove the canvas except having traveled some 100 miles to join the party. I suppose that all or most of my belongings are on the trailer under cover. So keep that stuff covered as long as it does not look like military cargo. Plastic or fiber reinforced boxes of the Army are not correct for the time of the truck's active service, so cover them.
That is the way I would do it.
By the way, my M101A1 is coverd by a M715 canvas, the bows are some 10 inch higher than the standard bows. And nobody realy noticed that so far, for it fits to the truck. And these modifications were common in Germany with the US Army. I use an original canvas, the Army mostly used simple ply wood painted to modify their vehicles.
Wolf